Win2000/2003 server as ntp source

Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why. I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations. Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices? Tnx, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh
Loading thread data ...

My understanding is:-

Win 2000 - need 3rd party software since their sntp is not compatible with cisco ntp. Did not try configuring sntp on cisco which I noticed a reference to recently.

I think that Win2003 ntp is ok.

On cisco all you need is

ntp server x.x.x.x

ntp server 130.88.203.64 ntp server 128.252.19.1

h#sh ntp ass

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset disp ~130.88.203.64 0.0.0.0 16 - 64 0 0.0 0.00 16000.

*~128.252.19.1 .USNO. 1 41 64 377 119.6 -1.62 0.6 * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~ configured

Here one server is working OK and the other is not working at all.

Reply to
Bod43

Roger that the Windows builtin (w32time) NTP service will not (usually) successfully supply time to IOS NTP clients. (It will [generally] be able to supply time to IOS SNTP clients.)

If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's where to go:

formatting link
Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks a lot Aaron. Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients? Tnx again, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

~ > If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's ~ > where to go: ~ >

~ >

formatting link
>

~ ~ I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks ~ a lot Aaron. ~ Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win ~ server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients? ~ Tnx again, ~ Tosh. ~

Well, I guess you *COULD* have a problem with your Windows clients. w32time, as I recall it, is capable of providing time both via NTP and via some Windows proprietary method. If you want it to do the latter but not the former, then you should be able to configure it for that (and thus have w32time coexist with your new GOOD NTP server.)

Alternatively, you could just set up your windows clients to get their time via NTP. This can be done by reconfiguring w32time as an NTP client on *them* or by adding an NTP implementation to them (the full blown one above, or just a client side one (like NTPtime,

formatting link
Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.