Altronix

- What is the recommended temperature range for an Altronix power supply? Can it be mounted in a California attic?

- What is a good price for the Altronix ALTV1224C4? Do you have a favorite Altronix distributor?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

It's never a good idea to mount any electronic components in an attic. The best place is near your attic hatch. Find a wall immediately adjacent to it and mount your power supply there. You can route all the necessary wires into the wall space behind the can. You'll have to drill down through the top plate. You can find some "how to's" at

formatting link
Good luck!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

If you MUST mount the power supply in the attic, at least punch hole in the side and mount a small 12V fan on the top or side of the box. Use a good fan guard to keep out unwanted critters too.

Reply to
Silicon Sam

His battery will still be "toast" within a year though.

Reply to
Frank Olson

It can be, but it may not hold up, and batteries will die more quickly. Heat kills electronics.

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have one old FBII panel in an attic (takeover) and it needs a new battery about every 2-3 years.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks everyone for all the help. The panel is for an IR illuminator and the application does not require a battery, but it won't be too much effort to put the panel in the garage, so I'll mount it there. Thanks again.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

ge

I've got a couple of jobs that I've taken over with equipment in the attic ( not alarm panels) and they've been there for at least 15/20 years and still working. Nearnet radio, Wireless receiver. Wireless transmitters in unheated (below zero) garages. Although on other jobs I've had to move equipment after it failed.

When components that are going to be used for general use are mfg and tested they don't actually know what extremes they actually may be able to work in. And equpment mfgs only state that the equipment will work up to or down to a certain temp. But they don't actually know how far beyond that it will work. I think it may be just the right combination of components in a given item that coincidently can function in a hostile enviornment, that allows for this happening once in a while.

Reply to
Jim

I would not put any piece of electronic equipment in an attic, especially a power supply, and particularly if there is a battery attached.

Reply to
alarman

formatting link
For the price of one of these STI Protective Cabinets you could buy about 30 or 40 Altronix ALTV1224C4 power supplies. But you had to ask.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.