1958 ADT video

An interesting ADT promotional video from 1958, complete with phony police and fire chiefs. Includes old central station footage, for those of you who have never been in a non-computerized central station.

formatting link

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

That's pretty cool. The "tele-therm" heat detector, lol.

I've never seen a central like that but I bet Bass has, in his garage.

Reply to
G. Morgan

How do you know the police and fire chiefs are phony?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

How many police chiefs do you know who have a mockup teller window in their office, equipped with all the latest ADT holdup devices?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

It wasn't equipped with anything. He couldn't show us the devices for "obvious reasons". Yeah, sure.

He probably has that so he can play "bank teller" with his secretary. -- js

Cut the RED wire. No...wait!

Reply to
alarman

Brought back allot of memories of when i worked for Holmes Pittsburgh Div. in early 80"s

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Holmes had phony police and fire chiefs?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Well why not?

It's obvious that YOU'VE never played "bank teller before.

Reply to
Jim

No, just doctor. And sometimes, pizza delivery guy.

Reply to
alarman

All those paper strip telegraph printers were interesting. Must have been state-of-the art 50 years ago.

Reply to
Beachcomber

They were state of the art at the time the fire red pole boxes used the paper tapes too but it went between 2 reels and it punched holes instead of using a pen like the McCullough loop tapes you saw in the video

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

When I was in the US Navy, we used the Teletype machines that produced the perforated tapes while we typed. Those machines could do about 80 wpm, out of the box, but we'd have the repair guys tweek them so they'd go faster. We figured that we were typing a 100 or more words a minute on some of them. I was a cryptographer and the perf tapes were ultimately used in cryptography machines to encode messages. That was back in the late 50's so you're right on with the 50 years.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.