Simple 802.1Q Trunk Configuration

Hello group,

I am trying to find the configuration for a simple 802.1Q trunk on a

425-24T switch. All the documentation I can find talks about Multilink Groups, but I cannot find the configuration commands for single link trunking. Does anybody know, or have a link to a command reference ? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Regards,

GP

Reply to
nazgulero
Loading thread data ...

Hello Artur,

thanks for the explanation, good information. I am looking for the commands used to configure the 802.1Q trunk, it is probably something quite simple, but I cannot find the commands on the Nortel website...I am not really a Nortel guru, maybe you can point me to a link that shows the commands ? Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

GP

Reply to
nazgulero

Hi, there is two different things. Multilink Trunk is port aggregation. You can aggregate up two 4 ports in one MLT and have one logical link. You can set up up two 4 MLT groups including max 4 ports in one.

802.1Q is VLAN tagging technology adds 802.1q tag to the packets transmited and allowing to have VLANs traversing entire LAN. By mistake sometimes people talk about VLAN trunk which is the same as VLAN tagging. There is nothing in common in MLT and VLAN tagging except that of course You can set up all ports in MLT group as tagged. There is separate chapter about MLT and VLANs in Nortel documentation.

Best Regards,

Artur

nazgulero wrote:

Reply to
Artur Gmaj

I'm not familiar with the BayStack 425 command line interface. Does it use the bad Cisco-clone called NNCLI? If so, this may do it:

config terminal vlan port tagging tagAll vlan members remove 1 ALL vlan members add vlan port pvid exit

You can hit ? anytime you get stuck with a command or don't know what commands/options are available. For example, to see what the vlan commands are:

config terminal vlan ?

Reply to
Chuck R. Anderson

Hi, I'll try to explain how to find docs about Nortel products. Some documents may need password but for BayStack I think it can be accessible by everyone. So, go to the

formatting link
and then under support&training list choose Techical Documentation. After that, You have to point product by name or by product family. It's on the right side of the portal. Remember, that now BayStack are named as Etehrnet Switch so BayStack 425 may be referred as Ethernet Switch 425.

Good Luck,

Artur

nazgulero wrote:

Reply to
Artur Gmaj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.