Re: Nortel 8600 DHCP Relay (IP Helper) Question

I was informed by my network staff that only one DHCP server is

> supported as a relay on the Nortel 8600. Is this correct? Here is what

No, that's not at all correct. We have three main DHCP servers here which we relay to from each subnet.

I am trying to accomplish: > > We have two DHCP servers, split 50/50, and would like to have the > switches relay to both addresses. Either simultaneously or > alternating. I know this is available with Cisco, but am unfamiliar > with Nortel. > > This would be for redundancy purposes.

As long as you keep the configuration on your DHCP servers synchronized so they never hand out conflicting information to clients, you should be all set.

Reply to
Frank Sweetser
Loading thread data ...

No idea about the GUI (we rarely if ever use it here), but it's certainly doable with the CLI. Just add multiple relays with the

ip dhcp-relay create-fwd-path

command.

Reply to
Frank Sweetser

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if setting this up would be restricted to command line only or if it can be done via the GUI?

Reply to
SpecOp504

Thanks a million.

Reply to
SpecOp504

It can be done via the GUI as well. Pretty straight forward. Under IP Routing and DHCP. Simply insert the D/G of the VLAN under AgentAddr and the IP Address of the DHCP server under ServerAddr.

Add another with the same D/G and the address of the other DHCP server.

John Mitchell

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.