New to HDTV, what to see/expect???

Got digital cable with HD programming, 32" LCD widescreen, progressive scan DVD. Using component cable from cable box now, but switching to HDMI to DVI-D cable. DVD also via component.

DVD's play full screen and look great, most cable HD programming (discovery, HDNet) has small (maybe 2-3") gaps at the top & bottom, but fill the width. Usually looks pretty good but I do see some pixelation, especially on busy images or during transitions.

Is that normal?

Reply to
Doug
Loading thread data ...

Not sure what LCD Brand you are using. Usually with the new cable boxes that handle HD you need to pay attention to the fact that on regular channels you may have the TV or Cable box set to stretch the image from the broadcast aspect ratio of 4:3 to 16:9. When you are watching the HD channels the native broadcast is usually at 16:9. So if the box or LCD is stretching the HD signal it may look a bit pixalated.

-M

Reply to
MXM

TV: Norcent LT-3222. 16x9. 480i/p, 720p, 1080i Cable: Motorola DCT6412 III on Cebridge Cable DVD: Philips DVP-642

Reply to
Doug

Scope the remote on the motorola and see if it has a aspect ratio selection. On my scientific atlanta there is normal, panarama, and

16:9. I leave mine set to normal so the LCD just looks at the native resolution and displays the image correctly. On normal programming (4:3) I switch it over to strech or 16:9 so it fills the screen.
Reply to
MXM

Thanks. I don't think the remote has that button but I'll double check. I'll take pictures of the setup menu on the moto & TV and post those for review.

Reply to
Doug

formatting link
I did notice that the cablebox was not set to the settings in this picture and I reset them to the factory defaults. I'm pretty sure I didn't change it, but might have.

Reply to
Doug

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.