Wireless surveillance system

I want to install an outdoor surveillance system around my house. I have yet to decide whether to go wireless or to run cables. Obviously a wireless system would be easier to install, but I'm not sure about the quality of the video transmission. Also, I'm afraid the neighbors could pick it up (which is ok for outdoor). Could someone please comment on the pros and cons of wireless vs. wired surveillance, and possibly make any recommendations? Thanks!

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.
Loading thread data ...

There are basically two choices in wireless video: (1) inexpensive junk with no penetration and such short range as to be viturally useless; (2) really expensive stuff that works really well.

None of the residential RF cameras are encrypted, nor do they use exclusive frequencies. Basically, if you send it anyone nearby can view it. On the plus side, the video is of such poor quality that the neighbor won't be able to tell the difference between "marital bliss" and reading the newspaper. Of course, after a certain age these may be one and the same.

If there's any way to run new cables, by all means do so.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

How about this though:

formatting link
If I understand correctly, this technology sends audio and video through the existing power lines, kind of like X10 does. Does anybody have any experience with HomePlug?

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

Be careful about putting a lot of data on your home wiring if you intend on using other PLC devices that control lights. Baby monitors are well known for wreaking havoc with x10 systems, (but x10 is pretty unreliable to begin with). I would opt for a hard-wired system any day if you can get the wires pulled, or just make a few of the harder- to-wire cameras use RF.

Reply to
RickH

HomePlug uses frequencies that are much higher than those used by X-10 so there's no interference with X-10, Insteon, etc. The newer HomePlug AV devices can handle multiple streams of HD video so they should be capable of handling surveillance video.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

I would think this would be a natural. No need for added wiring yet with built-in security features so outsiders cannot access the video.

There are a few other manufacturers of HomePlug cameras or HomePlug camera servers...

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thank you all for the advice!

1) How good is the image quality? Cable quality? Dvd quality? Antenna? 2) Can other home appliances get fried accidentally? 3) The usb receiver needs some software (provided), which I assume runs under Windows. I run exclusively Linux on my pcs though. Can the images be handled by the v4l/v4l2 drivers? I know how to grab images via v4l and I can write my own interfaces, as long as I can access the usb port via the v4l drivers. Is there anything needed? Some usb stuff, maybe? Perhaps I should ask this question in a Linux newsgroup, but I'm asking it here too in the event that someone is using homeplug under Linux.
Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

4) Would I need repeaters, etc. as you do sometimes with X10? 5) Won't the transmission spread to networks beyond my house? Won't my neighbors see what's being transmitted if they plug in their own usb receiver?
Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

Most of the major players (Lynksys, Netgear, D-Link) have sold HomePlug modules for a few years and I don't recall seeing a phase coupler so my guess is the higher frequencies used pass to the opposite phase with no need for a phase coupler.

The transmissions can be encrypted so only those with an Ovaltine secret decoder ring can view them.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Most of the companies have sample video on their web sites.

formatting link
If you go with a HomePlug camera server, you can use the network camera of your choice.

I don't understand the question. Why would other appliances be affected? HomePlug has been in use for a few years (it's much more popular in Europe) with no epidemic of fried appliances.

The WiLife cameras need Windows Media Player. My guess is that if you can deal with .wmf files you'll be OK but that's a guess.

Reply to
Dave Houston

This is excellent quality! I imagine much better than wireless?

Thanks for all the info!

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

I have to admit the Gigifast setup looks interesting. I didn't see any pricing for the remote component (camera, transmitter), and apparently you also need a 14Mpb router to integrate into your network.

Reply to
Another Cultist Subliminal Mes

Sorry - I can't help on pricing but you'll probably have more luck checking European dealers as HomePlug penetration is much greater there than in the USA.

You will need a bridge from the powerline to your network.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.