Utp cable bundle with 14-2 ??

I've seen on a post or on a web site last year a cable that was disgned for home automation that had in the same cable a utp 4 piar cat 5e cable and a

14-2 cable for power...

anyone seen that somewhere ??

trying to find some so I could rewire part of my home..

Reply to
petem
Loading thread data ...

I thought it was desirable to keep Cat 5 away from power cables, and only cross at right angles.

Reply to
Bob F

There have been numerous attempts over the years to supply a 'strucutured cabling' solution. In the end it's cheaper and actually easier to install separate wires. Most of the time where the wires need to run isn't the same place. Power goes to one place, network another, audio, etc. That and the structured cables are far more bulky and more hassle to handle. Translating into increased labor costs. Finally, terminating the cable often required special connectors, adding more to the cost and labor expense. Thus running regular wire, separately, ends up being a better solution.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yes it is, but in this situation we are nor using it for ethernet...

Reply to
petem

"Bill Kearney" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : StydnXqZXIJDV_HWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net...

Yup for audion and such having different cable passing as far away as possible from 110 volt is the way to go.

But when its time to send signal that control automation module, passing the wiring in one shot can be very usefull..

That and the

Reply to
petem

Eh, with proper insulation and connections it's possible. Trouble is that 'proper' aspect greatly raises the price.

How? By requiring larger holes and more difficult to pull cabling? And then needing more expensive connectors on the end to properly split it out to regular connections? And what if the long length of cable that was pulled has a problem? You'd still have to go back and pull more wire. In the end it's easier and cheaper (by a lot) to use separate cables.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Bill Kearney" wrote

Bill, we disagree on a lot of things, but you're 100% on the mark here.

Structured cable is an idea whose very short time has come and gone. It's stiff, hard to manage, impossible to staple, requires larger holes, requires much more time and bother if a segment fails and costs a hell of lot more than uncombined cables. The only place I see it used now is in huge installations where keeping associated wires together outweighs all the many deficits. Doesn't sound like it's the case here. While I might use it if I got a spool for free, I would never specify it for a new project. It's become so unpopular that it's probably possible to get structured cable for less than combined cables simply because vendors want to clear their inventory.

Even if the poster isn't sending Ethernet over the UTP, whatever he *is* sending (multiplexed video comes to mind) is still subject to the same problems that arise from running data cables too close to power ones. It could be OK if he is running cable to CCTV cams, because the power supply could be low voltage DC, and not likely to cause any interference problems. Without knowing what the wire is being used for makes this a guessing game. Maybe the OP can enlighten us.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ah, good to know you're not wrong all the time... heh.

Yes, that's my impression as well. It seems like a good idea until actually put into use.

It does help when follow ups get posted...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Bill Kearney" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : haSdnZn3OdSOVO_WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net...

Sorry for the delay, got what I was looking for..

Received an email and was able to order the cable..

Look like its someone in the industry think that structured cabling and power cable in the same package is not a bad idea..

Dont ask were I got it, its still under test and will beta test for them..

Reply to
petem

One problem is there is so much deliberate misinformation (some people call it lying) on the part of the cable industry.

A few days ago I got a request for tech support from one of our online clients. He wanted to order riser cable for use in a house. I asked why riser cable. Someone convinced him it was safer and better than "ordinary" wire.

Well, riser cable is a code requirement in specific environments but not in his situation. I explained that it's not needed, will not benefit him and will cost several times what "ordinary" cable does. He was adamant. Nothing but the best.

We chatted for a while. He's a nice guy, determined to do the best job he can. Nothing I said would convince him, yet he did ask for tech support which me that implies he wants advice from someone who knows what's needed.

Ah, well. I helped him understand some other stuff and let him place the order online. I won't process an order over the phone for you if I know it's wrong. You have to make your own mistake. I haven't checked (I don't handle that part of the office any more) but I assume he got what he wanted.

This would never have happened if not for someone else telling the gentleman he needed it. The same thing happens every day with "structured" cable. Less than scrupulous marketers tell less than expert clients that they will have a better system because the cable is "special".

Look at the hype surrounding audio cable. People buy speaker wire with names of semi-precious stones, arrows on the jacket indicating which end points toward the speaker, braided with strands varying gauge so all the frequencies will get through.... faster.

OK, that's enough ranting from me for today. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Well, don't say you weren't warned....

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Same old, same old, eh Bill?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.