Switching audio via an Ocelot and SECU's

BR> Another of the reason it's taken so long is the X10 BR> patent that pretty much kept everybody else out of the biz.

Certainly the X-10 patent had a lot to do with it but many, many companies rebadged and then abandoned the X-10 line. It never took off. I think companies like IBM, Stanley and Sears jumped ship because of the ever-worsening reliability problem. Remember what a house looked like in the BSR days? There were very few wallwarts compared to today, no cordless phones and almost no computer equipment. The X-10 signal was designed to navigate that simple, peaceful electrical environment and it "soared like an eagle" on most home's powerlines. Ironically, the big problem back that was that the signal went too far!

Today, the X-10 signal is more of a mole that has to tunnel its way under all the predatory signal suckers and confusing noise sources that live in a modern home. I've helped deploy X-10 for a number of friends recently and all needed couplers and will likely need repeaters. If Insteon has indeed solved that problem without the need to hire an electrician, they have made the big jump to the next HA level. I estimate that maybe as many as half of X-10 users stop expanding their system when faced with the coupler option. It was X-10's Achilles' Heel.

From what Dave's been teaching me slowly about RF, it was never very hard to couple X-10 phases by wireless, either - they just didn't think of it and apparently, neither did anyone else. Dave, if you're reading this, how hard would it be to couple X-10 via RF as Insteon has done?

As for the IPOD, it's success is even more interesting when you consider that's its really the reincarnation of the Sony Walkman, the granddaddy of portable music. There is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come - again!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Actually, a lot of people thought of it. They use two RR501s.

Other than RF range problems and potential interference, it's trivial.

One outlet on each phase, near the electrical panel solves the range issue.

Interference is easy to deal with - I wish Insteon had done what Philips has done with the Pronto RF. It's double modulated - they modulate the 418 or

433.92MHz carrier with 40kHz and with the data envelope. Their receivers ignore anything that doesn't have the 40kHz modulation. Since Insteon uses a fixed frequency, when there is interference from other devices you have to change the frequency of the other device. There are sure to be instances where the intererer is either fixed frequency or beyond your control (i.e. a neighbor).

The frequency issue, the potential for problems from the same signal sinks that bedevil X-10, and the fact that extended Insteon codes take longer than

1/3 of a powerline cycle are the only weak points I see in their design. The fact that each module repeats the PLC signal alleviates the signal sink problems but do not eliminate them.
Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.