Switch Conversion???

I have a potential customer that has a house built in the 50's. The electrical switches are an odd style in that the plates sit horizontal and the toggles are more like rockers about the size of your thumb.

First I am looking for a name, style, or model on this type of switch. I have googled and ebayed but can't seem to find a picture for a reference.

Second I would like some hints as to how to install some automation to control lights and such with this type of switch??

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

You mean like these?

formatting link
From what you're describing it sounds like an item that was imported by the owner... If the switch controls a light that you want X-10 on, you're going to have to wire it like a three way (and hide the more modern looking X-10 switch somewhere). Sounds like a unique challenge, but one I'm sure you're up to. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

No the style is not on that site. These switches have the plates are Ivory in color going horizontal with maybe two or three rockers. The plate does not stand off the wall any more than a standard conventional P&S plate might.

I am getting a little concerned that they may be Low Voltage but I am hoping not. I may have to do some more on site investigation to confirm.

Thanks for the link. I came across that one in my search as well. Google is your friend, only if you use the right key words.

Thanks again.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Looks to me like you may have a retrofit on your hands to begin with. Does the owner have any history on the house? Is there any identifiable part number on the switches themselves? That may offer some clue as to their origins.

Reply to
Frank Olson

What you may have is an old GE low-voltage installation. The place where I worked back East had that type of system. The rockers were horizontal - maybe 5/8" by 1 1/4" if I remember right. There was no local click or snap when the switch was pressed, but I could hear a click from the relay in the ceiling. As I recall, that system was discontinued years ago, and it has become a retrofit nightmare as the components wear out.

If that truly is a low-voltage system, then the wiring is apt to be low-voltage too. Somehow you will have to deal with that. I am not aware of any home automation equipment that will work with that kind of switch.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Can't answer any of that at this point. Certainly will start the investigation this coming week.

Thanks.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Sound about right. I must do more investigation. Thanks for the GE point. That may be helpful.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I'm postive that if anyone could "cobble" something together to make

*any* lighting system work with X-10, it would be someone in *this* group. :-)
Reply to
Frank Olson

Look at TouchPlate, LiteTouch, Centralite, Vantage, etc. There are links to each on this page.

formatting link
If it is GE low voltage system, there are companies that make parts.
formatting link
TouchPlate did supply parts for GE systems.

formatting link
Good luck.

Reply to
dlh

Actually, the GE RR7/RR9 systems are still produced, sold, and installed. Parts are readily available, and there is also at least one competitor, touchplate, that makes similar systems.

I think that GE sells an automation interface, but it's a bit pricy for what you get.

I know that I have seen regular 120V switches that are mounted across a standard single-box frame. There are one, two, or three switches in a single gang. These switches would toggle and physically stay one way or the other. Low-volage switches would be more like a pair of push-buttons switches. Even if it is built as a toggle switch, when released it would go back to the center position (neither side being down).

marcus hall snipped-for-privacy@tuells.org

Reply to
marcus hall

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.