Old coax

hi,

i was just given a bag full of coax cable a friend of mine took out of the walls of his house when moved (so it's atleast 15 or 20 years old), is it still good for anything?

thanks for the help,

dan

Reply to
harryguy082589
Loading thread data ...

No. It's junk.

New coax is very cheap and better. So it's not even worth your time.

Reply to
none

Maybe some small scrap value for the copper, otherwise it's worthless.

Reply to
BruceR

Why would someone rip out coax from their walls when they moved???? This is just amazing to me.

Why stop there? Why not take the copper pipes, light switches, siding, and the shingles with you as well?

(I'd love to see the exclusions clause on that sales contract... :-) )

But seriously, I am curious as to why they did remove the coax. Can you give us more details?

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

I just assumed the gentleman meant that his friend removed coax from the home he moved *into* -- not from. Now I'm curious to see if that is correct.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

no, i meant the house he moved out of. the people who bought it were planing on knocking it down so they said leave it in whatever condition you want so he took the lights, chandelleres, outlets, jacks, water heater, cabeling

Reply to
harryguy082589

OK. That makes sense. In my area of Florida a lot of people buy older homes near the water, tear them down and build new. One house down the street from my brother's home sold for over $600K and it was immediately bulldozed. The new place is the same size -- just nicer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Very common in the Seattle area, especially for waterfront properties.

Reply to
Byron Hynes

Indeed. A friend of mine lives in a small bay-front home in Sarasota which she inherited from her parents. Her house is a very ordinary, two bedroom affair with a one-car garage. It's one main selling point is the ~200 foot waterside border. The best offer she's had so far is $2 million.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Same here in Hawaii but we're not salvaging old coax.

Reply to
BruceR

The downside to salvaging any wire is what fatigue might have done to it's effectiveness. Coax depends upon how well the center wire is insultated from the outside sheath. When you pull or turn a coax wire tighter than it's recommended bend radius you degrade it's ability to carry the signal. Same thing goes for fiber and most other sorts of data-grade cabling. Twisted pair is less vulnerable but not immunue. The wire is generally not going to "go bad" just sitting inside the walls if it was propery installed. Likewise if it was carefully removed it might be ok. Trouble is by the time you figure out what is or isn't "Ok" about the wire you could just bought new stuff. Time is money, as they say, and I'd rather get known-good wire from the start instead of bug-hunting re-used cable.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.