Speaker Kill Switch

The discussion regarding speaker kill switches triggered an idea.

Whose volume or fader controls would you recommend for handing dividing speaker output from what's basically a car head unit?

I've got a setup in a boat that has two speakers in the main cabin and two in the forward cabin. They're both being driven by the 'Front' speaker outputs from a Clarion head unit (radio). The rear line-out is fed to an amp that powers the rear speakers out in the cockpit and radar arch. I'd like to consider adding some speakers on the bow to give a bit of coverage when at anchor without having to crank up the arch speakers. I'd also like to be able to fade between the foward and main cabin speakers.

Output currently: Head unit | +-- rear line-out -- amp -- rear speakers | +-- front speaker out --+--main cabin speakers | +--forward cabin speakers

I'm not planning on the bow speakers to be anything other than background level sound. I don't expect they'd need amplification. If they did I'd probably add a small amp for them as the existing amp doesn't have means to support them.

The installation areas in a boat are more like a house, in that it's wood bulkhead not automobile dashboard plastics.

Basically I want to accomplish two things, get some audio up on the bow and be able to turn off the foward cabin speakers but leave the main cabin ones on. I'm guessing this means a fader between the main and front, along with a volume control for the bow. Something like this:

+-- front speaker out --+ +--main cabin speakers | | +---0 fader | | | +--forward cabin speakers | 0 volume control | +---bow speakers

That look about right? I'd probably use units rated for outdoor use, but they'd be mounted inside the main cabin.

So whose controls are worth considering?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

A simple potentiometer could be used to control the line-level signal going to an amplifier (and then to speakers). I did this once in my car to control the subwoofer volume. That was mono and you need stereo, of course, so you will need a stereo pot, or you could just use two. I bought mine at Radio Shack for something like $3. A stereo one would be a little more expensive but a better way to go. Go to

formatting link
as they will have what you need. You basically just need a stereo line-level attenuator between your HU and the amp that will drive these speakers. Just split the signal that is going to that other amp to get the line-level signal for the stereo attenuator and then you will have a volume control for this new amp/speaker combination you want to add to your boat.

Hope that helps,

MOSFET

Reply to
MOSFET

Use Russound impedance matching volume controls. They'll need to be protected to use them in a marine environment though. You might use polyurethane or ACF-50 spray (try Sporty's Pilot Shop) to keep moisture out of them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.