pc controlled speaker switch

I'm a newbie here so please bear with me.

First off, I'm building a new house and will be installing speakers in each room. The following is what I want to do:

1) Be able to control (turn on/off) the speakers individually or as a group through my computer. I've read elsewhere that I'll need some sort of relay board connected to the computer in order to be able to turn the speakers on or off.

2) If I have multiple input sources, I want the ability to select which input source should be routed to the speaker(s).

It'll be real helpful if someone could shine some lights here on what I need to purchase get this working.



Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

I use this switch

formatting link
controlled by an HA program called homeseer

formatting link
There's a homeseer plugin available for this switch.

So you'll need: pc, homeseer, homeseer ab8ss plugin, ab8ss

Upside: flexible and powerful Downside: requires a running pc

Reply to

Which might seem like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

I have a Russound CAV6.6 and it's great, but it might be a bit of overkill (price-wise) for what the guy is after. Granted, I find it's better to use a 'non-technical' solution like the Uno keypads. They're much friendlier to use than rummaging around for a PDA, remote or fancier wall-mounted touchscreen.

At the low-end the Russound A-Bus stuff might also fill his needs. Their four source/four zone setup might be cost effective. They've got an amp in the keypad, one that's good enough to fill a room in the average-sized home. And if you need more you can always an another amp (and the wiring for it). I've got an A-Bus zone on the deck that feeds through an 400w amp. Really gets things crankin' in the yard.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.