PC solution like Crestron

Hi All,

I am looking for a PC-Windows based home automation solution similiar to Crestron. I would like touchscreen panels that would control Security Cameras (as well as provide video feed), Fireball, Home Theater, MP3, speakers, etc.

Is there such a solution out there already? Or am I already locked into Crestron proprietary technology and steep prices?

I figure with Microsoft's Windows 7 support touch screen capability, the possibilites are endless. Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ringo

Reply to
Ringo
Loading thread data ...

Looks very interesting. Have you used it for long?

It has a 30 day trial and a reasonable cost ($69.00!) and an interesting corporate philosophy of supporting machines as old as WIN95 and small devices like the Pocket PC and things running Windows mobile. I've got a gaggle of touch screen tablet PCs running at 400MHz that would have great potential with a system like that. In fact it appears to support a lot of the HA HW I own, which is a very big plus. Even supports the ADI line of equipment, but not HomeVision, it seems, which is too bad, IMHO, as I feel HomeVision is a much better product. Plus, HV's designer is still quite active in the HV support group. The last time I checked on ADI's site, it had pretty much died the same slow death this newsgroup has. I imagine it can support HV via RS-232, though, as it seems to be pretty strong in that area. Just DL'ed the 22MB demo and will soon load it on a test PC to see how it goes.

One thing that spooked me was this item on the sales page because I am not even sure what they are talking about when they offer this item:

Extended Download Warranty This product is eligible for our Extended Download Warranty, for an additional cost ($4.95 per year) we'll keep a back-up copy of your digital files should you need to re-download them for any reason.

Another problem is no Paypal. )-: Well, nobody's prefect.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If what you are looking for is a system that may cost on the order of $1K rather than the $10K+ of Crestron, either Charmed Quark

formatting link
or HomeSeer
formatting link
can what you want.

HomeSeer right now has a sale for the upgrade of the base configuration to HomeSeer Pro that includes all of the add-ins that are normally separately priced for only an additional $150. The new, included HSTouch is dynamite in my opinion -- but with its flexibility comes the need to do much configuration/programming/design yourself.

If 'free' sounds good, investigate Premise System that used to be the premier PC-centric HA software -- until it was sold to Lantronix, and then to Motorola, who abandoned it. Last I knew, one could still download the software for free. There is an active community that has kept up with the latest and greatest such as iPhone support. Start here:

formatting link
HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Smart-HDL Introduce The SMS Module

1 - Powerful: By SMS messages controlling your home Lights, Curtain, Modes, Music, Appliances, Air condition, security, gate and motors, sprinklers irrigation system.

2 - Secure: for each SMS message, it can verify up to 10 phone number to accept the SMS, and can set as public Message to accept SMS from any numbers in the world.

3 - Informative: for each message you can set the Module to send you feedback by the successfully execution SMS.

4 - More control: can send up to 99 different SMS, each to control up to 20 commands.

5 - Easy: it is SMS messaged are not case sensitive, that make your SMS typing easier.

6 - 2 ways: in case of ALARM or any other problem in the house, Panic, Emergency call, health Request, it can send up to 24 different SMS to different 10 Phone numbers for each Message.

7 - Green, it is Bus connection that saves your wiring, and Low current supplied.

8 - Integrated, can be integrated to any system by RS232 module to send and receive any ASCII or HEX strings in all baud rates

For more info, Manuals, Films and others you can visit our website

formatting link
For installation and Programming Film you can visit
formatting link

Reply to
smarthdl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.