pager/phone to caregiver

I am looking for something my father can use to page his caregiver. She is in the same house, but could be talking on the phone, watching TV, etc. Requirements:

1. It should be small enough to comfortably wear around his neck 24 hours.
  2. It probably should have only one button.
  3. It should be able to transmit 100ft through walls dependably.
4, It would be nice if he could also talk to the caregiver.

The x10 KR15A:

1. Maybe, not sure how big it is.
  2. Yes
  3. Based on my experience with UR19A, HR12A the range is dependably
30 ft through walls. I suppose we could have multiple TM751 receivers, but that may create other problems.
  1. No

I see that there are services like lifealert.com that provide a pendant which calls a service and then he can talk to them via a speaker phone. There is a monthly charge. This is obviously not what he needs, but parts of it seem appropriate.

Are there any products that meet 1,2,3 and maybe 4?

Reply to
bill
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave, Are you required to get an FCC license if you only use these in FRS mode? Thanks for the info.

Reply to
bill

Bill, they are license-free. They are made by numerous manufacturers and come in many sizes, flavors and colors - I just gave the link so you could see an example. I've never noticed a pendant version but it's not something I monitor closely. It would not surprise me if there were versions intended for just this market niche - it would seem to be a natural.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
can call on the phone line or be used locally . or i've used ac intercoms that would work well and can be plugged in anywhere but not around his neck..

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

AlarmCoJoe, Do you have any real world experience with the range: "Dependable Call Button with up to 150-foot range" Thanks for the reference. bill

Reply to
bill

No matter what the device, the key words are "up to." That means what you might expect with new batteries . . . between two rubber rafts floating on lake . . . in the middle of a sunspot lull . . . deep inside a dormant volcano! I would make sure that no matter what anyone else reports as personal experience that you buy it with the understanding you can return it if it doesn't work in *your* environment. I can pretty much assure you that if you live in a normal house and not a wide open tent or a loft, you'll never see 150 feet.

The ability of RF gear to reach from one end of a house to another depends on a lot of factors. When you're involved in summoning caregivers, it's best to err on the side of caution. We wanted to use a cellphone for my dad for the purpose you outlined but the coverage in the house was too spotty to be reliable.

Still, the GE system looks interesting and even 75' would work for my Dad's house.

formatting link
(no affliation, just a site that popped up on Google!)

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

if you have regular sheetrock and not a lot of metal in the way range is good. I've seen them work out to the mailbox by the street. metal lath behind plaster or kitchen laundry and mechanical room in between transmitter and receiver and range will be dercreased.

Reply to
AlarmCoJoe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.