OT:car jump-start batt pack, good for powering laptops, etc.?

This is more for the road than home, but we have some bright guys here, hoping some will reply.

I would like to have a 12 volt battery pack with a lighter socket for powering a laptop, phone, camping, etc. I have seen different kinds, but find few when purposely looking. Some have a air compressor, are ANY of those worth having? I gave away the $9 compressor I got cheap years ago. Some have a 120 volt inverter, sounds nice, but my math and suspicions tell me that would last about 5 minutes. Some have a white and/or red light, fine. I do want it to be able to charge from the car, not needing house power to charge (but okay in addition). Are those "car starters" really (and safely) able to start a car?

I would appreciate links to good ones.

I see Campbell-Hausfeld has one starter, looks big and therefore hopefully good, but at only $53 US, I have my doubts. They make several that are compressor only, but still have a lighter socket. www,chpower.com

(I know not to power my "delicates" while compressing or starting) :)

Searching has been difficult, too many 12 volt drill battery packs, and AA type blister packs.

Thanks.

Reply to
clemslay
Loading thread data ...

I bought a Jazz portable 300. 300 watt inverter, fluorescent light, jumper cables and air compressor. When I was a field engineer I made a place that it was connected to the battery of my truck all of the time. I would use the inverter for my laptop. That kept the damn screen from blanking. The air compressor works well. The jump start preformed well the one time I used it. Charges battery tools in my configuration just fine I paid ~$100 and it is heavy.

formatting link
check out the power packs

Reply to
SQLit

They can, **IF** the car will be easy to start and just has a dead battery. Jumping a car at below 0 temperatures will be a lost cause.

A lot depends on the batteries in the system. I doubt that the ones which take a stack of D cells are even minimaly useful. You will have a trade off between capacity and weight + price. Batteries with more capacity are heavy and more expensive. I have used one that we have at work one day when I left my lights on. The shop uses it for starting large turf equipment that has been in storage. I don't know how heavy it is because they have it permanantly strapped to a small 2 wheel cart.

As you have done, look at the Amp Hours that the batteries are rated for. That would be my first thing to look for. You can always add an appropriate inverter.

>
Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.