Multiswitches and Multisatellite Dishes

I need a lesson in multiswitches. In particular, I need to understand if a multiswitch will solve my problem, or if I have to invest in and mount a second satellite dish and run more cable.

My situation: I have a DirecTV multisatellite dish antenna. It views three satellites and provides four coax outputs. This allows the connection of:

1) Up to four receivers, or 2) A two-input DVR and two receivers, or 3) Two two-input DVRs.

I currently have case #2. If I now want to upgrade one of my receivers to a two-input DVR, it seems that either I must forgo the second input, give up my other receiver, or mount another antenna and run more cable.

Or do I?

A typical 5x8 multiswitch can receive from 5 inputs and provide 8 outputs.

But will this work with DirecTV?

I was under the impression (right? wrong?) that each satellite transponder transmits on both of two possible polarizations. If so, then my triple LNB dish actually receives 6 "signals" (3 satellites x 2 polarizations) and only provides 4 of these 6 at a time. In this case, a multiswitch helps but doesn't completely solve anything.

What solutions are available?

While I am at it... what's up with 22 KHz Tone Generators and multiswitches?

Reply to
Ian Shef
Loading thread data ...

Correct.

That is because there is a switch built into the feedhorn/LNB assembly.

If you can find 3 discrete feedhorn/LNB assemblys that will fit in place of the current feedhorn/LNB/switch assembly then you can add a switch.

You need a 6x6 switch. 6 cables from the 3 dual polarity LNBs then 5 cables to your receivers (2 each to the DVRs and 1 to the single tuner receiver).

A quick google yielded the Zinwell WB68 6X8 Multiswitch. There might be a better option but I didn't investigate further.

Here is a link:

formatting link
Looks like a decent FAQ:
formatting link
The usual disclaimers apply, I know NOTHING about the seller...

Good luck

PS... Multiswitches with an odd number on the left side of the "x" (the input count) diplex a over the air (OTA) antenna (1 signal) with the "x"-1 satellite signal so you can get satellite and OTA local TV on the same coax.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Lewis Gardner wrote in news:453e885c$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

Thanks, although further research suggests that maybe only one LNB operates with polarization. (See below)

I saw a suggestion someplace to bypass the builtin switch. Sounds risky.

Sounds like a long shot.

Yes.

Your links also led me to:

formatting link
which shows a Phase III (triple LNB) dish hooked to a multiswitch. It is my newfound understanding that the Phase III dish is what I have. If this diagram is right, then either:

1) Only one of the three satellites makes use of polarization, or 2) There is some other sharing scheme being used, such as frequency division.

As far as I know, a change in DC voltage along with the presence or absence of 22 KHz (see, I have done additional research in the meantime) are the common way of switching inputs. This also suggests that there are really only 4 inputs (not 6) available.

... as long as another diplexer is used at each receiver as well. I just learned about this during my research as well.

Thanks very much for your information.

There are a few sites that provide information about using multiswitches with single and with dual LNBs, along with an explanation. There are also a few sites that show how to hook up a 4 input multiswitch to a Phase III DirecTV antenna. However, I haven't yet found a site that explains HOW a 4 input multiswitch can work with a Phase III DirecTV antenna.

I guess that I could just accept it on faith that it works, but I would prefer to know the details.

Reply to
Ian Shef

So do I.

Apparently the Phase III uses "stacker" technology so I was thinking "old tech" with the discrete LNB plan.

The Phase III LNB/switch works with 4 cables for 6 signals (3 satellites) because 2 of the signals (1 satellite) are in the Ka band. Polarization is used on all signals but since Ka is a different frequency than Ku both signals can exist on the same coax.

So (for illustration purposes ONLY) you end up with something like this:

coax1 14vdc = Ku1 RHCP + Ka RHCP coax2 18vdc = Ku1 LHCP + Ka LHCP coax3 14vdc+22Khz = Ku2 RHCP coax4 18vdc+22Khz = Ku2 LHCP

Ku1, Ku2 and Ka are the three feedhorn/LNB assemblies. For DirecTV they are pointed at 101/110/119 West Longitude for the Ku signals and

99.2/102.8 WL for the Ka signals. I believe you get 2 Ku and 1 Ka, which ones depend on where you live.

Ku downlink at 11.7 to 12.2 Ghz is the traditional frequency for "small dish" Direct Broadcast Satellite systems. Due to the exploding demand for bandwidth (locals and HDTV) more is needed. Ka downlink at 18.3 to

18.8Ghz and 19.7 to 20.2 Ghz is one place where the DBS broadcasters are "finding" additional bandwidth. Unfortunately the complexity of the system goes up.

Ku signals are converted to 950 to 1450 Mhz by the LNB so the signal loss on flexible coax is reasonable. Ka signals are converted to 250 to

750 Mhz for 18.3 to 18.8Ghz and 1650 to 2150 Mhz for 19.7 to 20.2Ghz for the same reason.

Here are some links:

formatting link
?t=2311 It looks like either the Zinwell WB68 or the Eagle Aspen DTV4X8 will do what you need. You might want to get the WB68 in case you have future need for even MORE satellites. Of course by then the tech may have changed again and...

You might want to check solidsignal.com for your purchase. I have used them before an have always had good results.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Lewis Gardner wrote in news:4541bea9$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

Aha! 6 signals on 4 cables. Great explanation!

>
Reply to
Ian Shef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.