Leviton and DirecTV

Greetings if there is a FAQ on this question please refer me to it.

I have a Leviton structured media cabinet with direct RG-6 coax runs to each of three TVs (two cables each TV). I'd like to add DirecTV to this "home run" set-up. I have a flat roof site with a great azimuth/elevation view.

I am unclear how many RG-6 runs I need from the cabinet to the dish.

Is one run adequate? Does the dish have its own multiswitch for converging signals from the various satellites?

My source for my existing hardware suggests I connect the run from the dish to a signal amplifier inside the media center and then to a Leviton multiswitch made specifically for DirecTV to distribute the signals. This all makes sense but doesn't answer the queestion about runs from the dish to the cabinet.

I attempted to ask DirecTV via a form on their web site and the response I got was "ask the installer these questions when he comes". Hmm: I wanted to have necessary equipment on site before the installer gets here and have nice nonsloppy runs to my roof before he gets here.

Hope y'all can help me. Thanks.

Reply to
powercat
Loading thread data ...

My understanding is that you need 4 runs of RG6 from multisiwtch to dish for Directv with capability for the new HDTV channels. It would be 3 runs without the new HDTV capability. Many dishes already have a multiswitch internally but maybe not enough for three receivers. For example, two DTivo receivers each take two runs for full capability, so that fully utilizes a typical high-end dish with three transponders and a 4x4 multiswitch.

I don't know what the multiswitch is in the Leviton box, but it may not have what it takes for the new Directv HD. Here are a few switches that will support it:

Spaun SMS5602NF, also 5802 Eagle-Aspen S-4180-GX+

These switches need to be mounted out of the weather and require power which is supplied by an external power supply (included). The smallest ones require (waste?) 24W all day long.

Reply to
George Pontis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.