Motorized blind retrofit

Has anyone been able to retrofit existing shades or blinds into motorized units? I have Hunter Douglas PowerRise blinds which are battery powered, but I'd like to retrofit them to a wired system for more reliability and better performance.

Is it possible to purchase just the motors or the headrail assemblies so that I can reuse my existing material? I know that companies like BTX and Somfy offer this sort of thing, but their cost to retrofit is about $300/shade and they won't sell the motors separately. I'm sure I could do the retrofit if I could get my hands on the appropriate motors. - Dave

Reply to
Dave Horoschak
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean by "wired"?

Hunter Douglas makes versi>Has anyone been able to retrofit existing shades or blinds into

Reply to
Dave Houston

By wired I mean that I want them to be mains powered and use a hardwired contact closure to activate. I already have the PowerRise (battery powered, IR remote control) HD blinds, so I would prefer to just replace the motors or headrails and keep the blinds themselves. Believe it or not, HD wants $9000 to convert 11 blinds, which seems outrageous. There has to be a cheaper way. - Dave

Dave Houst> What do you mean by "wired"?

Reply to
Dave Horoschak

If you can provide more info on the origional motors, then repalcements would be easier to find. The robotics groups and sites often have links to various types of motors.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Why don't you get power supplies to replace all the batteries and hot wire the IR control relays to work via a switches? It wouldn't surprise me if you found board jumpers or even a connector for a hard-wired switch on the control unit. It's not unusual to have dual control options on motorized blinds.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Agreed. It certainly should cost less than $9000.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.