Main power Indicator

Hey all, I would like to make a simple circuit that will power an LED when I am being fed from the grid. This way I can tell at a glance when I am running on backup power when the Grid returns. I have no problem tapping into the main at the panel, and would possibly like to add a relay to this as well to trigger an audible alert.

Are there any specifics that I should watch out for? I want this to be safe.

Thanks

Reply to
Firehousepinball
Loading thread data ...

Why bother with all that wiring? Find a receptical off the panel and plug in an LED nightlight.

Are there any specifics that I should watch out for? I want this to be safe.

Thanks

Reply to
Josepi

Do you already have an auto-transfer switch?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I do not, It would all be done manually.

Right now what I have planned is a 240V relay that will be wired to an LED indicator to tell me when power is restored. This will also assist me as I plan on integrating this into the security system and HA system so I can know when power is restored while I am away.

There really isn't all that much wiring, a 240v relay wired in to a small wall wart powering an LED. It will all be switched so that when the generator is running, the relay will be active. Lucky I found a

240v relay here at work. That was the biggest concern, most relays I come across are 12/24v.
Reply to
Firehousepinball

Run the 12/24vdc relay off the wallwart.

There really isn't all that much wiring, a 240v relay wired in to a small wall wart powering an LED. It will all be switched so that when the generator is running, the relay will be active. Lucky I found a

240v relay here at work. That was the biggest concern, most relays I come across are 12/24v.
Reply to
Josepi

Do you have a transfer panel? If so, as Josepi suggested, you can just plug in a nightlight into one of the outlets on the regular panel. When I had a power failure in January, I had the generator in my motor home powering the emergency/generator/transfer panel. I turned on the dining room light, which was not in the transfer panel, Of course, it didn't light until commercial power was restored, so I knew right away. How are you connecting the generator?

Reply to
Art Todesco

So why not just use a plain old lightbulb? Why complicate it with multiple pieces of equipment that could fail? No need for relays and the the like. Just a regular wall outlet wired only to grid power. If it's lit then you know.

That and if anything goes wrong with the grid power you'll only be risking that one light.

If you want an audible signal to go with it then how about something festive like using a string of Christmas holiday lights? One that starts automatically and plays a tune. Yes, it's an oddball way to do it but probably pretty cheap to obtain in the off-season now. Or maybe just a radio tuned to a local station. I've used beat-to-hell clock radio as a way to test AC circuits. Put it in a room, turn it all the way up and then walk back to the breaker panel. Flipping on/off, listening for when the radio is playing.

The trouble with most audible alarms is they get on your nerves pretty fast. Beep-beep-beep, ugh. Something that played a little tune is less likely to bug you as much.

Also consider whether or not the power is going to come back on while you're asleep.

Auto-transfer panels aren't outrageously expensive for what they offer. And that's an engineered solution to handling what can be very dangerous amounts of voltage and current. When you start creating solutions of your own you're asking for trouble, the consequences of which involve burning down the structure and potentially risking lives. Just raising the point.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.