looking for diy plans or kits for motorized pet door (NOT automated)

I have been searching to no avail to find plans or kits to build my own simple up/down motorized pet door. I see all those motorized pet doors for +$200 and that is ridiculous. There must be a simple plan or kit out there than can build this thing out of hobby supplies for a fraction of that.

This is actually for a chicken coop door that will be open during the day and closed at night. It will not be automated only motorized. Preferably cable controlled with some type of electric motor that can raise a small door and hold it there till I want to close it.

All it has to do is go up and stay there, then when wanted go down using gravity ie safe for small animals that might be under it. I=92d like it to be a simple motor connected to regular home wiring and an x-10 controller to initiate the door up or down from my home.

Can any one direct me to a hobby motor or kit that I can use or modify to do this?

Reply to
slc02
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
J Miller

So the door is hinged at the top, with a chain at the bottom to open, close. The solenoid it mounted above the door, with the striker pointing up. A lever is used (lets say 20" long, that is perpendicular to the wall , and it's pivot is 1" from the solenoid. Chain attached to the other end of the lever. When solenoid's energized, lever moves up, pulling the chain, and opening the door.

I tried to draw this, but it didn't work.....

J Miller wrote:

Reply to
J Miller

Could you use a TV rotor control? Inside the coop mount it to a pipe on a pipe flange and on the other end mount a drum assembly on a pipe to wind up a cable strung through a pulley to operate the up/down door. Advantage = cheap to purchase at a garage or swap sale, plenty of torque, slow moving, auto stop, built in reverse, control box inside the house and you could mark the control box so you know where to turn the knob for each cycle. Disadvantage = you'd have to run a low voltage control wire to the coop.

This is actually for a chicken coop door that will be open during the day and closed at night. It will not be automated only motorized. Preferably cable controlled with some type of electric motor that can raise a small door and hold it there till I want to close it.

All it has to do is go up and stay there, then when wanted go down using gravity ie safe for small animals that might be under it. I?d like it to be a simple motor connected to regular home wiring and an x-10 controller to initiate the door up or down from my home.

Can any one direct me to a hobby motor or kit that I can use or modify to do this?

Reply to
Gene

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.