Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

ROFL

Brian

formatting link

Reply to
Tech-Home
Loading thread data ...

Dave, you're off the deep end (again). Let it go.

Reply to
wkearney99

I'm sorry you feel that way so I'll try to persuade you to another view.

Over the past 15-20 years the latin term "ad hominem" has been used by a certain segment of the population to attack those with whom they disagree (as it has been used here).

Unfortunately, those who fling it at others have never looked up its definition. Since your spelling of the term was incorrect, I'll provide a URL to the definition at dictionary.com.

formatting link
I always present a logical argument based on technical facts and data. In this case, I made the point that the frequencies used for HomePlug are far higher than those used by the various PLC methods so there is no reason to expect interference with X-10, Insteon, UPB, etc.

Now, I buttressed my argument by also saying Brian is "technically incompetent". Brian has been posting here for a few months and has demonstrated time and again that he has zero technical knowledge of the devices he's trying to sell. I provided a link to the HomePlug organization with references to a whitepaper that gives details on the frequencies they use for in house BPL. I could have also included a link to the FCC Part 15 documentation which also lists the frequencies they allow for BPL. If Brian were to spend the several hours required to read through all of the HomePlug docs and the several days needed to read and digest the Part 15 rules, I suspect he would still not understand the issue because he has demonstrated that he lacks the technical training to comprehend it.

I also used the term "illiterate". If you refer to its definition, you'll find that two of the three meanings given support my usage.

formatting link
Those who fling the term "ad hominem" without also providing a logical and reasonable argument that address the issues are, in truth, guilty of ad hominem attacks. I am not.

BTW, "ad hominem" is never "at its best".

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave has endearing characteristics other than his considerable technical expertise and long-standing willingness to share it in this newsgroup. Another, in my opinion, is his deep wit.

In this thread Dave wrote " Every 3-6 months Hult crawls out from under a rock []" . I (Hult) am a geologist specializing in water who lives in a region with some of the worlds largest and best known underground streams -- so this is literally true ;-)

Thanks Dave, for that chuckle.

We all need more good humour in this time of monumental tragedy in the Mississippi Bay region. As a hydrologist, I am overwhelmed with anger and renewed energy by our society's tragic failure to give sufficient priority to well-known environmental threats. As a humanist, the callous disregard for folks less fortunate then ourselves fills me with a profound sadness.

Thank you, Lee , for your "Plleeeeeeeeaaaaassseeee?? "

(which is both a wise request and as good a pun as I've heard this week -- even if the spelling _is_ atrocious ;-)

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Seems to me that just as troglodytes have the advantage of a deeper understanding of their environment than surficial folks, Polyglots have more perspectives on language than monoglots.

Dave has posted in this newsgroup that he wears the cloak of a curmudgeon. Message-ID:

The only definition offered by the on-line American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language is

"Noun: An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions. "

" Vestus wirum redit "

Marc Marc_F_Hult www.ECOntrol

Reply to
Marc F Hult

You mean like you "know" the Elk M1-Gold??

Interesting statements (coming from you, I mean).

Reply to
Frank Olson

"I said nothing about the warranty but merely quoted another dealer. I even included a URL so you could verify that I quoted him accurately. You really should take a reading comprehension course. "

You stated the warranty is shorter then comparable switches. Stop confusing Zwave with HomePro or Intermatic there not the same in this regard. Nevertheless, what is some college student know about this. Zwave does not have a warranty but rather Home Pro/ACT products and Intermatic. Your post also went unanswered as to, Why people are returning them? I can tell you why #1 the dimmers shorted when the bulb blew. Fixed in later versions. #2 they simply do not understand how to program the modules. #3 software issues. Zwave push was to be standalone without computer control. Several vendors mainly Homeseer pushed for a Computer Interface. #4 to trade for the new version, several returned old version remote for the newer one. The old version worked but I sent them the new version regardless.

" I posted the details of their USB interface here several months ago and did so based solely on my knowledge of such things without ever seeing the actual interface."

I will post in a few weeks many details about the remote and dimmers along with the Zwave protocol. Hopefully this will allow others to flash upgrade their old version remotes.

"You have repeatedly claimed special knowledge of soon to be announced magnificent products. So far, most of those who have licensed the technology seem to be merely supplying the same basic devices that Zensys originally developed with the only major difference being the color. Dean Roddey has pointed out some limitations (most of which I pointed out months ago). "

I said there are things in the works. I am playing with a wonderful software solution designed for Zwave products. This is not merely a claim and when the official announcement comes out, I can inform you of it then. It is a very small program that greatly enhances Zwave and corrects the flaws.

"I don't recall any "major university" in your area."

So that means your not coming for a visit? If you would do a quick search it would be easy to figure this out.

"I assume from the criminal justice thing that youplan to be a cop. If you really do plan to be a psychologist get good malpractice insurance. Online diagnoses of people you've never met are probably frowned on by real psychologists. "

Nope guess you did not see the MBA. Cops, actually police officers receive very little compensation for putting the life on the line to save other ungrateful citizens. I have not diagnosed you with anything but if you would like try, paranoid schizophrenic.

I really have no use for any dishonest SOB who attacks me repeatedly on matters where he admits he has no qualifications and then whines when I respond in kind. I don't turn the other cheek!

If you are calling me a dishonest SOB. I have never resorted to name-calling for one. I guess I grew up a bit different where we were taught it is not nice. In my neck of the woods most would make sure your cheek turned with those words. Lets talk about Home automation not insulting others with name calling as this shows ignorance.

"Now, I buttressed my argument by also saying Brian is "technically incompetent". Brian has been posting here for a few months and has demonstrated time and again that he has zero technical knowledge of the

devices he's trying to sell. I provided a link to the HomePlug organization with references to a whitepaper that gives details on the frequencies they use for in house BPL. I could have also included a link to the FCC Part

15 documentation which also lists the frequencies they allow for BPL. If Brian were to spend the several hours required to read through all of the HomePlug docs and the several days needed to read and digest the Part 15 rules, I suspect he would still not understand the issue because he has demonstrated that he lacks the technical training to comprehend it."

Very amusing statements. Again you're completely WRONG about "posting here for a few month"! Refer to my earlier diagnoses. A quick search showed a post by me on Jul 15 2004. According to my non-technical calculations, this is just shy of 14 months. My statement was "What happens when BroadBand transmitts over the powerline as it really is happening and most likely only going to expand." I did not say there would be issues But I would not count on BPL not creating any issues weather it be with X10, UPB, or Ham Radio. I have read your links but I can refer you to links saying the earth is flat. It's exciting and I'm glad BPL is finally coming as it's often difficult to get high speed internet in rural areas, as in where I used to live. But to say there will be no issues is a very strong statement. Did everyone think there new plasma would cause issues with X10?

Brian

formatting link

Reply to
Tech-Home

As opposed to sending messages without valid e-mail addresses? From work no less?

Reply to
wkearney99

This is the best line in the film (IMO): "And you!! Friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were?? Unemployed in Greenland?"

Reply to
Frank Olson

BTW, seems to me Dave that expounds about what he has Googled up (yet again).

_Ad_hominem_ is a Latin phrase that means "to the man" and by usage of the times, "the person".

It has long been used as shorthand for _argumentum_ad_hominem" (an argument/point directed to/at a/the person).

Dave can't be writing about me because I don't "fling it at others" and I indeed "looked up its definition' both in English and Latin long before the "past 15-20 years" Dave refers to.

( With only one year of Latin in college, I've had fewer years of education in Latin than either of my parents, either of my children and my only sibling, but I do know what the phrase means. My father taught Latin while I was growing up and Latin phrases continue to be common parlance in our family. This is/used to be relatively common in contexts in which several European languages are/were spoken because using Latin can help to clarify false cognates and false friends. -- e.g., Spanish "embarazada", "constipado", "contestar", "desgracia", and so on.

This is not snobbism or an effete affectation.. When one lives in an environment in which more than one language is required to get along well in daily life, knowing the _lingua_mater_ of those languages is an efficient way to learn what you have to learn in order to get though the day.)

When Dave called me a SOB (abbreviation for "Son Of a Bitch") Dave was making an _ad_hominem_ statement regardless of whatever arguments he *also* might make based on:

- authority (_argumentum_ab_auctoritate_) or - the matter at hand (_argumentum_ad_rem_) or - an appeal to envy (_argumentum_ad_invidiam_)

and so on. His long-time use of the latter is revealing in my opinion.

Some folks would also say that he is making an "ad feminam" comment (in a contemporary sense) about my mother which may be acceptable in his culture but is not in mine.

So I dunno why Dave writes ' BTW "ad hominem" is never "at its best" '

When the problem is the person -- as Dave amply demonstrates *he* IS with his continued antisocial behavior that chases good folks from this newsgroup -- _ad_hominem_ discussion is relavent. (preceding word misspelled so Dave has something factual to cavil about).

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.