Laying out a new house - looking for Wiring and controller advise

We had a similar (though sort of reversed) experience recently. While I was in Brazil a customer from another SA country decided to visit our "store" for some in-person shopping. Without calling first, he, his wife and two children flew to Miami and then drove to Sarasota. Their trip to Sarasota was a diversion en route to Orlando to take their children to Disney. They rang my home doorbell and asked a relative if they might have a wrong address. He called my brother who works with me and he came over to meet them.

The customers had dinner with Mike and his wife, then went over to Mike's place to discuss their plans. After spending a pleasant evening they went on to Disney the next day, then returned to Sarasota where Mike invited them to spend another night at his home.

I thought that was the strangest "customer service" event we'd ever have until I got a call this morning from another customer. He wants to come over and discuss his needs for security, fire and automation systems which he'd like us to supply to his company... in Egypt. :^)

Presumably the Stargate unit picks up the phone and dials the CF string followed by your cell phone number, hangs up and then repeats, no?

Our community is installing a new gate system. I plan to CF my land line to one of my VoIP numbers when I'm away. That will allow me to decide who gets in even when I'm in Brazil. I rarely get packages from UPS since returns and warranty service are mostly handled directly by manufacturers and distributors. What I really want is to be notified when the mail arrives if I'm out on the lanai or using the pool. I plan to have the ELK send a voice alert through the whole-house speaker system when the mailbox door is opened. That part's a snap. Emailing you is a nice touch.

If the RoZetta is from Houston I'm not interested in it. If it's another Dave, tell me more.

I only learned about it hewre, too. Sounds like a major help to X10 users. I'll be interested to see Jeff's marketing plans for the XTB.

True. For me the problem is people want to do something today. They ask for guidance in selecting a system they can use now. I can only guess which technology has the best chances of success. While your experience with Insteon is encouraging, I can't ignore the support that Z-Wave is garnering from numerous major players in the industry. Since Insteon is still a one-company product I'm reluctant to steer clients in that direction.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Exactly. But it also plays a little jingle and repeats "Call Forwarding Activated" for about 10 seconds which I hear if I answer the call. I'm the only driver of one car and I sometimes drive our Jeep. If the garage door for the one that only I drive opens and closes, CF is automatically set and then cancelled when it opens and closes again when I return. If the other car leaves, SG calls my cell and asks if I want to set CF. If I dial 1 for yes, it hangs up and sets up CF. It will cancel CF when I return. I also have the option of pressing a button on a keypad by the door or setting the alarm to activate forwarding.

I do all that with the SG which has alarm sensors wired to the mailbox and package drop doors. I use flashing lights and chimes instead of speakers.

It is - the man knows his stuff! He's designing a very powerful unit that I'm looking forward to using.

He'll have them ready for shipment this week. I ordered mine today!

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.