Bulb Contact Meltdown Caused by LM465 Lamp Module?

Hi,

I have been having repeated failures of a lamp controlled by a X10 Powerhouse LM465 Lamp Module. Over the past several years I have replaced the socket on the lamp at least twice. Today I replaced a bulb that had been in use for over a year and found the contact on the base of the bulb was disfigured as if it had been soft or even melted at one time or another. This is a repeat of a problem I had a few years ago and why I have replaced the socket.

The bulb was a 50-200-250 three way bulb and that is what is commonly used in the lamp. Is it possible the LM465 is contributing to this problem even though I am below the 300 watt maximum or is there some other explanation as to why I am seeing this problem more than once in this particular lamp?

The bulb I replaced today was a GE. I don't remember what brands I have used in the past.

Roger

Reply to
Roger
Loading thread data ...

Is the socket out in the open air or in some sort of globe arrangement? A socket gets pretty hot with most 200 Watt bulbs and even hotter if air flow around it is restricted.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

I doubt it's the module. Is the fixture rated for a 250 watt bulb? Many are not. Is the socket well ventilated or enclosed? Replace it with a porcelain socket this time instead of the plastic ones you've been using. They cost a couple extra bucks but are designed to withstand the high heat generated by a 250 watt bulb. You can buy them at Home Depot/Lowes and see them here:

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net Hi,>> I have been having repeated failures of a lamp controlled by a X10>

Powerhouse LM465 Lamp Module. Over the past several years I have> replaced the socket on the lamp at least twice. Today I replaced a> bulb that had been in use for over a year and found the contact on> the base of the bulb was disfigured as if it had been soft or even> melted at one time or another. This is a repeat of a problem I had a> few years ago and why I have replaced the socket.>> The bulb was a 50-200-250 three way bulb and that is what is commonly>

used in the lamp. Is it possible the LM465 is contributing to this> problem even though I am below the 300 watt maximum or is there some> other explanation as to why I am seeing this problem more than once in> this particular lamp?>>

The bulb I replaced today was a GE. I don't remember what brands I> have used in the past.>> Roger

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.