Audio over Cat5 ???

Thanks for all the good input. Since I'm only running about 25 feet and have pleanty of UTP, I'll double up and use 4 pair for left and 4 pair for right. If this doesn't work as planned then I'll just have to rip it out and spring for the speaker wire. What gauge does 4 strands of 24ga UTP equal? Or is it a moot point?

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

The Cat5 will work, the only tough part will be connecting all those solid wires to the amp. But, 25 feet of 14 gauge zipcord (speaker cable) will set you back all of $5, maybe $10 if you get unlucky with the price.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Moot but harmless. One piece of Cat 5 with 2 pairs paralleled for each channel is absolutely satisfactory for your very short run.

Re gauge, paralleling two wires of the same gauge effectively takes it up 3 sizes.

So parallel two pieces of 24 gauge and you have an effective 21 gauge.

Parallel 2 pieces of 21 gauge (same as 4 pieces of 24 gauge) and you have equivalent of 18 gauge.

Run spares though. Easy to run initially and you'll almost always be thankful for spares, sometimes sooner rather than later.

Steve

********************************************************************* Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA) Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip mailto: snipped-for-privacy@swssec.com website
formatting link
+1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190 "In God we trust, all others we monitor" *********************************************************************
Reply to
Steve Uhrig

It will equal roughly 16-gauge, which should be fine for low level listening at the reasonable cable lengths you need.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.