Line out audio over phone cable?

Hi all,

I'm working on a whole house FM transmitter project and would like to mount the xmitter in my cupola to get it good and high. So I need to get the audio line out signal from my wiring closet up there.

I'm considering pulling pairs 3&4 off a twisted 4-pair phone cable and using on one line from each for left and right channel, and combining the remaining leads from each pair for ground. The run total run distance would be approx 35'.

Has anyone done something similar? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr
Loading thread data ...

Michael,

There are several ways to accomplish what you want. One simple methods is to send speaker level audio up to the cupola and reduce it there to line level using an audio transformer. Another option is to use baluns at each end. Third, you might be able to use the twisted pair cable as is for line level, depending on how much and what kind of noise is present.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for your thoughts Robert. I thought I'd start with line-level and work my way up to speaker level if signal quality becomes an issue.

My biggest concern right now is wanting a "sanity check" on the idea regarding form and current - don't want to fry wires in the walls. As I understand it - typical current between line-level devices is in the very low ma range and my 24G solid copper wire can take at least 500 ma. One end will be line-out from a PC sound card and the other the FM transmitter. I haven't found specs on it input impedance, but it has typical line-in and will accept even MP3 players as input.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr

OK, not to worry, Michael. You won't fry the wires with line level audio.

There shouldn't be a power issue with your plan. The only question is whether you'll pick up noise. I'd try it using just the wire and see. Then if you still need baluns you've lost nothing.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hello All,

I can attest that you should have absolutely no problems. I am using a

75ft run of twisted pair to run line-level audio from a wireless video receiver to a computer line input .. and it works perfectly fine .. it is directly wired to the connectors on either end.

In my case , the bottle neck for quality is the video receiver/transmitter setup , not the twisted pair- so keep that in mind.

If you do get noise .. maybe try attaching one each of the pair together in different configurations (I did this without thinking). It is possible that one of the configurations may help to attenuate the noise while it travels across the wire.

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Ryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.