Anoy Anon -- A federal crime ! ?

Anonymous Annoyance now a Federal Crime.

On January 5th, President Bush signed into law language amending the existing telephone harassment law.

formatting link
The new provision is tucked away in a law to prevent violence to women.

formatting link
"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

I've contended for years that anonymous posts would be the death of useful usenet, but this law is .. is .. annoying ! ;-)

What's next?

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:17:09 GMT, Marc F Hult used recycled pixels to say:

YAWN! That's nice... when you live in a country as restrictive as mine, you get used to even breaking the law for yawning! ;)

Reply to
Someone

Federal lawsuits against several participants from a certain "other" newsgroup? Wouldn't that be nice? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If it were up to me, the penalty for SPAMing would be death by a thousand cuts! I get 4 SPAM emails per day for every real email - and they are always for the same stuff - Viagara, Cheap Software, Fake Rolex Watches, Phishing attempts, or Penis Enlargement!

Now THAT's annoying!

John W

formatting link

Reply to
John W

!!! You're releasing "Greenhouse Gasses". Like the people who want to outlaw cows.

Reply to
clemslay

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:22:48 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com used recycled pixels to say:

LOL! does methane count when I eat too many beans?

Reply to
Bin Daire Dunnat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.