Adding a an on/off switch to appliance that doesnt have one

I've got a few devices that dont have an on/off switch (the George Foreman Grill, electric heater, etc)

Anyone know of a commercial a/c plug that has an on/off switch? Kind of like a power strip but compact with only 1 plug?

I see Smarthome carries a a big wireless version, but I'm looking something very small..

Something more like this:

formatting link
but small like this and with a switch on it)

formatting link
I can't seem to find something like this.. if it doesnt exist maybe I'll go on American Inventor!!

Reply to
benn
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

formatting link
Nice catch, Sylvan. Sometimes, when I want to add a switch to a fairly low current device like a battery charger, I use a rocker or thumbwheel type line cord switch, like one of these:

formatting link
(the image from the ridiculously long URL below)

formatting link
formatting link
Whatever the OP chooses, he should insure that the switch is rated for the load. The switch I chose (simply to illustrate what the switches look like!) can carry only 3A, so it's completely unsuitable for a George Foreman grill or a space heater. The OP should be aware that the 13A Leviton might not support a space heater running full out. Line cord switches come in an astonishing variety of designs and current carrying capabilities, so they have to be matched to the job at hand. I imagine that someone might even make a switch similar to the Leviton that carries 15A.

For the ultimate "clean" solution, the OP might want to duplex the outlet boxes and use toggle switches just above the controlled outlets. A heck of a lot more work than the switched plug option but just a tad more streamlined.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That's pretty damn silly. The cost of the switch and the laber involved will *never* be recouped.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Huh? It takes about five minutes to install a line cord switch with screw terminals, about 90 seconds to add one that uses insulation displacement connectors. You open up the switch, slit the zip cord, pull out the hot wire, cut about an inch out of it, strip the ends, screw them down, close the case and you're done. I believe I bought a batch of three or four for a few dollars from Allelectronics, who is out of stock at the moment or else I would have used their site to as an illustration.

IMHO, putting a $2 switch on a 12V float charger turns out to be a very cost-effective investment if it keeps the charger from immolating itself from a direct short. I lost one $25 charger that way, but I haven't lost another since adding a line cord switch so that I can wait until all the battery connections are made before powering up. In the case of space heaters and electric grilles, adding a switch might help prevent an accidental activation and fire. How would you factor that potential benefit into your cost/benefit analysis? I believe it's one of the reasons the OP was looking for a shutoff switch in the first place.

Now if you're talking about what I said regarding enlarging and duplexing the outlet boxes and replacing the double outlets with a duplex switch and outlet so that each outlet has a corresponding wall switch above it, I agree that it would take a lot of labor and at least $10 in parts. However, there's no way to put a price on spouse approval and I know at least two women who would not want an extra do-hickey appearing on the end of a line cord. In fact, they probably wouldn't like the idea of a George Forman grill sitting out on the countertop when not in actual use. So adding a plug switch for such a device would be somewhat of a moot point.

As another example, I imagine there's more than one CHA'er who has switched to an expensive multibrand programmable remote for lots of extra $$$ and considerable time and effort. I imagine that at least one of them made the switch because the SAF of a coffeetable full of different remotes was so low. Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of thing I had in mind!

sylvan butler wrote:

Reply to
benn
658. The symbols of the Gospel for the state of the sick soul are sick bodies; but, because one body cannot be sick enough to express it well, several have been needed. Thus there are the deaf, the dumb, the blind, the paralytic, the dead Lazarus, the possessed. All this crowd is in the sick soul.

659. Types.--To show that the Old Testament is only figurative and that the prophets understood by temporal blessings other blessings, this is the proof:

First, that this would be unworthy of God.

Secondly, that their discourses express very clearly the promise of temporal blessings, and that they say nevertheless that their discourses are obscure, and that their meaning will not be understood. Whence it appears that this secret meaning was not that which they openly expressed, and that consequently they meant to speak of other sacrifices, of another deliverer, etc. They say that they will be understood only in the fullness of time (Jer. 30:24).

The third proof is that their discourses are contradictory, and neutralise each other; so that, if we think that they did not mean by the words law and sacrifice anything else than that of Moses, there is a plain and gross contradiction. Therefore they meant something else, sometimes contradicting themselves in the same chapter. Now, to understand the meaning of an author...

660. Lust has become natural to us and has made our second nature. Thus th
Reply to
sylvan butler

their eyes."

184John 12:41. "These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him."

1851 Cor. 1:22, 23. "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: but we preach Christ crucified."

[186]"But full of signs, full of wisdom; you the Jesuits, what you wish is a Christ not crucified, a religion without miracles and without wisdom."

18710:26 "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep."

188"Not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye... were filled."

18916. "This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the Sabbath day. Others said: How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles?"

[190]John 9:17, 33. "What sayest thou of him? He said, He is a prophet. If this man were not of God, he could do nothing."

191Mark 9:39. Nemo est enim qui faciat. "There is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me."

192Ps. 138:24. "And see if there be any wicked way in me."

193Luke 22:66. "Art thou the Christ? tell us."

194John 5:36. "The works which the father hath given me to finish... bear witness of me." John 10:26-27. "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep... My sheep hear my voice. [195]"What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee. (They do not say: What doctrine do you preach?)"

196John 3:2. "No man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him."

[197]"The Lord, making manifest his presence, upholdeth them that are his own portion."

198"And others, tempting him, sought of him a sign from heaven."

199Matt. 12:39. "An evil generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it."

200"And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, why doth this generation seek after a sign?"

201"Mark 6:5. "And he could there do no mighty work."

202John 4:48. "Except ye see... ye will not believe."

2039. "In signs and lying wonders."

204II Thess. 2:9-11 "After the

Reply to
AZ Nomad

to necessity. But religion has never suffered this, or practised it. Indeed, there must be these compromises or miracles. It is not strange to be saved by yieldings, and this is not strictly self-preservation; besides, in the end they perish entirely. None has endured a thousand years. But the fact that this religion has always maintained itself, inflexible as it is, proves its divinity.

615. Whatever may be said, it must be admitted that the Christian religion has something astonishing in it. Some will say, "This is because you were born in it." Far from it; I stiffen myself against it for this very reason, for fear this prejudice bias me. But, although I am born in it, I cannot help finding it so.

616. Perpetuity.--The Messiah has always been believed in. The tradition from Adam was fresh in Noah and in Moses. Since then the prophets have foretold him, while at the same time foretelling other things, which, being from time to time fulfilled in the sight of men, showed the truth of their mission, and consequently that of their promises touching the Messiah. Jesus Christ performed miracles, and the Apostles also, who converted all the heathen; and all the prophecies being thereby fulfilled, the Messiah is for ever proved.

617. Perpetuity.--Let us consider that since the beginning of the world the expectation of worship of the Messiah has existed uninterruptedly; that there have been found men who said that God had revealed to them that a Redeemer was to be born, who should save His people; that Abraham came afterwards, saying that he had had revelation that the Messiah was to spring from him by a son, whom he should have; that Jacob declared that, of his twelve sons, the Messiah would spring from Judah; that Moses and the prophets then came to declare the time and the manner of His coming; that
Reply to
AZ Nomad

a being who is in us and is not ourselves; and that is true of each and all men. Now, only the Universal Being is such. The kingdom of God is within us; the universal good is within us, is ourselves--and not ourselves.

486. The dignity of man in his innocence consisted in using and having dominion over the creatures, but now in separating himself from them and subjecting himself to them.

487. Every religion is false which, as to its faith, does not worship one God as the origin of everything and which, as to its morality, does not love one only God as the object of everything.

488.... But it is impossible that God should ever be the end, if He is not the beginning. We lift our eyes on high, but lean upon the sand; and the earth will dissolve, and we shall fall whilst looking at the heavens.

489. If there is one sole source of everything, there is one sole end of everything; everything through Him, everything for Him. The true religion, then, must teach us to worship Him only, and to love Him only. But as we find ourselves unable to worship what we know not, and to love any other object but ourselves, the religion which instructs us in these duties must instruct us also of this inability, and teach us also the remedies for it. It teaches us that by one man all was lost, and the bond broken between God and us, and that by one man the bond is renewed.

We are born so averse to this love of God, and it is so necessary, that we must be

Reply to
benn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.