Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc Instant Messenger ports for firewall blocking

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me the port numbers these apps use so that I can enter them into our hardware firewall to prevent users from using these tools?

Thanks.

Reply to
Karl Rhodes
Loading thread data ...

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me the port numbers these apps use so that I can enter them into our hardware firewall to prevent users from using these tools?

Thanks.

Reply to
Karl Rhodes

On 21 Jul 2004 09:26:23 -0700, Karl Rhodes spoketh

They use whatever ports are available, usually port 80. That makes them very difficult to block with a firewall and a lot easier to block with policy...

You could attempt to block access to any passport.net address, that'll take care of MSN, MSN Messenger, Hotmail and pretty much everything else you need to sign in for that relates to anything Microsoft...

In the same fashion, you could attempt to block access to anything in the oscar.aol.com domain, that'll prevent logins to AOL as well as Netscape webmail.

And, for yahoo, you can block access to *.msg.yahoo.com (IIRC), and that'll keep people from getting to YIM and Yahoo webmail and anything else that requires authentication in the land of Yahoo.

So, it's easier to prevent people from install this junk on their computers in the first place than it is to prevent them from accessing it...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Lars M. Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can also block the sites where the software is downloaded from.

Bob

Reply to
bob

The only means I've found is to ferret out the IP's of the servers. If you watch the firewall long enough you can get them.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

Hosts file is good for this. I follow the URLs to download the apps and block the server there.

Along with shareware.com, downloads.cnet.com and the like.

Reply to
bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.