IOS Updating my hosts entries??

Router: 3640 running Version 12.4(13a) IP/FW/IDS

I have the router set up to be a basic dns caching/forwarding server, and I have several IP HOST entries for my domains to serve the internal IPs locally. The same domains exist on the internet with public IPs. So I'm doing a very basic split DNS setup.

host domain.com 10.10.10.10

If I do an nslookup for domain.com, I get 10.10.10.10 back, perfect

My public DNS has a wildcard so if I do an nslookup for foo.domain.com I get back the public IP, 200.200.200.200 which is expected.

However now my "show run" has host domain.com 10.10.10.10 200.200.200.200

And nslookup to domain.com now returns 10.10.10.10, 200.200.200.200

Why the heck is it updating my host entry, especially when the lookup was to a different host entirely? I would expect it to leave the static entry alone and create a new dynamic/cached entry for foo.

In testing I found it only does this when I only specify the root domain like that. If I do mail.domain.com 10.10.10.10 and do nslookup for foo.mail.domain.com everything works as expected. So maybe its confused that its a domain name without a hostname?

A wildcard host would be ideal but don't think it can be done. I guess I could configure true split DNS in the router but that would mean maintaining an external DNS server, which I do have but its overkill.

This causes issues on my network as it load balances and half the time doesn't work.

Reply to
Drinkingbird
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.