web filter appliance recommendation

I need a a web filter appliance to limit browsing on our network. Our Netgear VPN router filters up to 20 URLs, but I want the ability to filter a much larger list (e.g. several hundred URLs). Any recommendations?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

Just about any firewall will do this, try any firewall appliance, and I don't mean those cheap NAT routers.

The cheapest solution I know, without being a certified firewall, is the DFL-700, you can blacklist everything with an *.com *.net etc... then white list what you want, and it holds hundreds.

Reply to
Leythos

I have a very similar situation (with a netscreen 5gt firewall). I also have a Barracuda antispam box for mail, which I like very much; very easy to manage (which I cannot say for the netscreen!). I have been looking at a Barracuda 210 Webfilter/spyware firewall. It has the same nice interface. It is not a firewall at all, but a dedicated appliance for webfiltering and spyware prevention. The 210 is around$1600, unlimited users, and a yearly sub for the database updates is around $400 (in the spam box these are updated hourly and work very well) gr

Reply to
gr

I use this with great success on my network. You will need a decent PIII or greater box with at least 256mb of memory. and at least two NIC cards. Latest version of IPcop firewall:

formatting link
Latest version of urlfilter. you'll need to know how to use sftp to copy the urlfilter tar file over to the IPcop firewall untar/ungzip and run the install script

formatting link
To subscribe to a URLblacklist, I subscribe to:
formatting link
has worked well for me for the past two years.

Best of Luck!

-Chris

Reply to
Rev Christian Mockery

Reply to
sameerlobo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.