VPN endpoint with built-in cardreader

Hi,

Does anyone know of a VPN endpoint with an embedded smart card reader which can be deployed on computers where a software vpn is not a solution ?

Thanks, Alok.

Reply to
alok.menghrajani
Loading thread data ...

I'd go for a small, ancient computer with something like OpenBSD on it. Get something that has drivers, or write your own.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Perhaps the OP could give a little more info as to what he's looking for? An extra computer with Open source and an app on it isn't anything like what I envivsioned he was after...

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Exactly, I'm surprised no vendor supplies such a product. Well, I guess embedded linux is probably the way to go.

Reply to
alok.menghrajani

Just as a hint - if you could find something that reads whatever cards you need and fits in one of the provided slots, a Soekris

formatting link
might work. It is well supported by, at least, OpenBSD. And OpenBSD makes a fine firewall, router, &c - it won't allow the end-user to turn too many knobs, but that's as likely to be a good thing as it is to be a liability.

And if you don't want to mess with people's home networks, just drop it in bridge mode and configure a fancy IPsec tunnel.

Pretty much the same should be doable using linux or FreeBSD, according to the site, but I'd never heard from them before I read snipped-for-privacy@openbsd.org for a while, so I can not vouch for linux or FreeBSD stability.

I have no personal experience with them, but they'd provide a stable platform to build upon...

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Could we get the OP to post the original problem and perhaps some additional details and constraints? There are lots of ways to get software clients to use token authentication, perhaps a slightly different approach will be fruitful.

-Russs.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.