VPN connection between FritzBox and Symantec SGS 360

Hi,

I have an issue establishing an IPSec VPN gateway-to-gateway tunnel to a Symantec SGS360. I have tried several hardware appliances (Netgear, FritzBox) but to no avail. This leads me to the question - does anyone know whether an SGS can only establish gateway-to-gateway tunnels to other Symantec products? Is it somehow "incompatible" with standard IPSec?

More detailed information: I used to have another Symantec SGS 360 on my end and it worked well, but it got wrecked when moving so I had to replace it. As Symantec is not producing the SGS 360 any more, I first decided to go for a Netgear product behind a DSL router doing NAT; as this didn't work, I blamed the whole NAT thing and replaced the combo with a FritzBox which has a DSL modem and IPSec functionality built-in. On the Symantec side, the SGS is establishing the DSL connection, so there is no NAT taking place anywhere; however both connections have dynamic IP addresses and publish their IP addresses using a dynamic DNS service.

I tried using both main and aggressive mode and tried different encryption methods, but no matter what I do, the connection is not established - the log of the Symantec always only shows:

Mima - !!!: Verarbeitung des Ereignisses EVENT_RETRANSMIT f=FCr

87.154.118.14 "Mima" #0 Mima - STATE_MAIN_I1: initiieren Mima - IKE-Hauptmodus wird initiiert

which translates to Mima - !!!: Handling event EVENT_RETRANSMIT for 87.154.118.14 "Mima" #0 Mima - STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate Mima - IKE main mode is initiated

(Mima is the name of the connection, 87.154.118.14 is the dynamic IP address of the FritzBox at that time)

I am a half-guessing when it comes to the configuration file of the FritzBox. It is actually a text file and is uploaded to the FritzBox as a whole. Here's the content: /* * C:\Users\mycfg.cfg * Mon Jun 07 19:00:18 2010 */

vpncfg { connections { enabled =3D yes; conn_type =3D conntype_lan; name =3D "mysymantec.sytes.net"; always_renew =3D no; reject_not_encrypted =3D no; dont_filter_netbios =3D yes; localip =3D 0.0.0.0; local_virtualip =3D 0.0.0.0; remoteip =3D 0.0.0.0; remote_virtualip =3D 0.0.0.0; remotehostname =3D "mysymantec.sytes.net"; localid { key_id =3D "MyFritzBoxID"; } remoteid { key_id =3D "MySymantecID"; } mode =3D phase1_mode_idp; phase1ss =3D "alt/aes/sha"; keytype =3D connkeytype_pre_shared; key =3D "VerySecretSharedKey"; cert_do_server_auth =3D no; use_nat_t =3D yes; use_xauth =3D no; use_cfgmode =3D no; phase2localid { ipnet { ipaddr =3D 10.0.1.0; mask =3D 255.255.255.0; } } phase2remoteid { ipnet { ipaddr =3D 10.0.0.0; mask =3D 255.255.255.0; } } phase2ss =3D "esp-aes-sha/ah-none/comp-all/pfs"; accesslist =3D "permit ip any 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0"; } ike_forward_rules =3D "udp 0.0.0.0:500 0.0.0.0:500", "udp 0.0.0.0:4500 0.0.0.0:4500"; }

// EOF

On the Symantec box, the settings correspond as far as I can see: VPN preset: Encryption method: ESP AES SHA1 Lifetime: 480 Max. amount of data: 2100000 Timeout when inactive: 0 PFS:1 DH group: Active

VPN tunnel configuration: Preset as above Main mode Local gateway: ID type: Unique name (DN) ID: MySymantecID NetBIOS Broadcast: Activated Global tunnel: Deactivated Remote gateway: Gateway address: myfritz.dyndns.org ID type: Unique name (DN) ID: MyFritzBoxID Shared Key: VerySecretSharedKey Remote subnet ID: 10.0.1.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0

The Symantec only allows IP address or Unique name (DN) as ID type, no FQDN or User_FQDN. However, the Symantec also allows to configure a "static tunnel" which as far as I have read does not do the whole IKE key exchange; but I am unsure how I could possibly configure that in the FritzBox configuration file.

I'm really thankful for any hints on how to get this running... cheers!

Roland

Reply to
Roland Dick
Loading thread data ...

You won't be able to do a VPN using appliances behind a NAT router...

The VPN appliance needs to be the first device.

Most NAT routers, if you're talking home devices, have crappy=20 implementations.

I've used the Symantec units to connect to WatchGuard and other devices,=20 it's just a matter of getting the phases right.

--=20 You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20 voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. =20 Trust yourself. snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Reply to
Leythos

Am 12.06.2010, 15:55 Uhr, schrieb Leythos :

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the aggressive mode works behind a NAT router. At least this used to be my setup with two SGS360, one of which was behind a router doing NAT (but supporting IPSec passthrough).

However, in my case now, both appliances are not behind a NAT router.

Yes, unfortunately.

That's interesting, so Symantec is not limited to establishing gateway-to-gateway tunnels to other Symantec boxes; did your appliances work with static or dynamic IP addresses? Do you remember which id type you used on the Symantec - IP address or DN?

Thanks,

Roland

Reply to
Roland Dick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.