Utility to open WINZIP with AES encyption

Is there a free utility which recipients of a ZIP archive can get to do no more than extract the files from AES-encrypted ZIPs?

-------

I use Winzip Pro 10.0.6698 and create standard archives with a ZIP file extension which I send as an email attachment. I do not create self- extracting EXE files as many company firewalls block EXEs attached to emails.

For sensitive data, I use either 128-bit AES or 256-bit AES encryption in Winzip.

When my receipents do not have Winzip they find they can not open the AES-encrypted zip file. How do I get around this? Is there a free utility which recipients can obtain in order to only extract files from my AES-encrypted ZIPs?

Reply to
One-o
Loading thread data ...

Of course, in terms of encryption this would be utterly stupid.

Nah, can't be that sensitive.

7-Zip does so. But please, stop calling the files ZIP files. This name is commonly reserved for RFC-conformant PKZIP 2.x compatible files.
Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Please explain what you mean.

Actually it is.

7-Zip does not open AES-encrypted files created by Winzip which is what I am looking for. Try it and see.

Winzip creates its archive files with the ZIP extension and that is what I am referring to. I don't control what Winzip chooses to use as an extension. I just refer to it.

It sounds as if you may be bringing here a point about "ZIP" you could be better off making direct to the authors of Winzip.

Reply to
one-o

Presume an attacker which has the capability to change the file. He attaches his own payload, which captures the password, unpacks the content and modifies the target system to report this file without the payload, then sends ou the captures password.

No, it isn't, because the implementation in WinZip is well-known to be broken. Thus, you might leak some data.

Tried, saw and found it working.

D'Oh! That doesn't make it a ZIP file. Just like renaming a .TXT file to .AVI doesn't comvert it to an AVI video.

The format, thus the real content that decides whether people can actually use it is described RFC 1951, 1952 and the PKZIP specification. The WinZip

9.0 AES-encrypted stuff is a proprietary and non-compatible thing, thus you should even be happy that people tolerate the .ZIP file extension on it and actually wrote a free implementation for it.
Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

DQoiT25lLW8iIDxvbmUtb0Bub21haWwuaW52YWxpZD4gd3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZSBuZXdzOlhu czk4RERFRjUwNDhBNjM2NEExOEVAMTI3LjAuMC4xLi4uDQo+IElzIHRoZXJlIGEgZnJlZSB1dGls aXR5IHdoaWNoIHJlY2lwaWVudHMgb2YgYSBaSVAgYXJjaGl2ZSBjYW4gZ2V0IHRvIGRvIA0KPiBu byBtb3JlIHRoYW4gZXh0cmFjdCB0aGUgZmlsZXMgZnJvbSBBRVMtZW5jcnlwdGVkIFpJUHM/DQoN CkFzayBpbiBuZXdzOmFsdC5jb21wLmZyZWV3YXJl

Reply to
Alan Illeman

Actually according to NIST WinZip's AES implementation is FIPS 192 certified:

formatting link

Reply to
kingthorin

Doh made a typo, that should say FIPS 197.

Reply to
kingthorin

I wonder if Sebastian is going to reply?

Reply to
Zak

Eh... why should I? The evaluation says nothing about the implementation of the storage format. And I guess you can use Google yourself to find the details on the vulnerabilities of this implementation.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Well you did so why are you asking us?

Did a quick google, there were some articles from early'ish in 2006 and older. All of the issues I could find seem to have been addressed by WinZip Computing. I suppose there may be an issue if one party is using an older version of the software....but that's true of any software. If we suggest people not use software because it's had bugs or vulnerabilities in the past then we'd be hard pressed to suggest any software package to anyone (there's no such thing as bug free software).

Reply to
kingthorin

Oh, they now got competent? And even searched for further potential vulnerabilities? Doubtful, very doubtful. (Well, can't expect much from closed source crypto..)

Well, that depends on the numbers, the impact and the complexity of the bugs. Being too stupid to apply a simple block cipher to a linear format and then leaking information in multiple ways has a trendemous impact and is so laughably trivial that one should wonder how anyone could f*ck it up so hefty. Why should one ever trust this vendor again when it comes to crypto?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.