Subscription Anonymity Services

X-No-Archive: Yes

There have been some questions in the tennis newsgroups about how to watch the French Open (and the upcoming Wimbledon tourament) without being detected. For anyone that might some here to ask, I have a simple three-word answer:

subscription anonymity service

These services that are sprouting up like weeds effectively make even the best firewall solutions moot. Whether you are tuning in to us, or one of our competitors, all you have to do is subscribe to the service, and usually download a small piece of software to your computer. Unless open relays, "free" anonymity services (like Tor), or using someone's misconfigured proxy server, these services provide much more stable connections, that will not constantly re-buffer, and that are also virtually undetectable. Many services, including the one I subscribe to now, also offer encryption through the proxy network. That means, if you want to watch/listen to French Open tennis, the boss will not know what you are up to, becuase many services have their own proprietary encryption algorithms, which cannot be compromised via "man in the middle" attacks. Because of the way that some of the more sophisticated P2P proxing services work, IT admins will be playing "whack a mole" trying to stop it, because it uses multiple addresses and multiple ports all over the place. As such services grow in popularity, it will drive corporate network admins INSANE trying to stop it.

Reply to
chilly8
Loading thread data ...

And I have a very big question: Do they allow anonymous subscription and anonymous usage?

Bullshit. Implement a global no-exec policy and none of the required client software will be running.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

You would not want to do anything that violates U.S. laws, they still keep some information that law enforcement can get with a warrant. These services are meant for you to be able to surf what you want from work or school, without being detected, NOT to break any U.S. laws (the company I use is located in Tarzana, California). Basically, THEY know what you are up to, but your BOSS does NOT.

Well, I sometimes log into the service just to see what corporate and educational networks are logged on, and you would not believe it. I scroll through the available P2P nodes, and find many corporate networks connected to the P2P proxy networik. Corporate networks that have connected through my node (when I am logged on) innclude:

Alkane Energy, Nottingham, England Abbott Laboratories, Chicago, Illinois SmarterDeals.com, Fremont, California (a site that sells clearance items at DEEP discounts) Quantico Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Virginia (probably some Marine trying to circumvent the new military policy against listening to streaming audio) Mission Carmichael Healthcare, Carmicheal California (someone at one of the nursing stations in that nursing home obviously likes Live 365 stations a LOT) Washington Mutual Bank Sacramento-Arden Branch, Sacramento, California (somoene there LOVES 80s music) Bob Jones University, Greenville, South Carolina (probably some student trying to circumvent the STRICT filtering regime there)

The admins at these instirution will know that someone made an encrypted connection to the P2P proxy network, but there is no POSSIBLE way that the admins will know WHERE they went to BEYOND my node on the network.

In fact, I just read from one guy, as I was writting this, who watches French Open tennis from work, via his home computer, and super high speed DSL line. He just logs into a site known as LogMeIn, then connects to his DSL modem at home, and then goes out through his home PC. Even though his employer restricts access to ports 21, 80, and

443, he can still connect to the LogMeIn site, via port 80, and then connect to the ESPN and/or Tennis Channel free streams of the French Open. The boss knows he is making an encrypted streaming connection at 400K, to LogMeIn, and to his home computer, but there is no POSSIBLE way the boss can know what he is up to.
Reply to
chilly8

Are you retarded?

1) No-one here cares about your shilling for your crappy site. 2) You boast about anonymity then post users locations on the internet. See anything dumb about that? 3) "The admins at these instirution will know that someone made an encrypted connection to the P2P proxy network", "The boss knows he is making an encrypted streaming connection at 400K, to LogMeIn, and to his home computer" And it's goodbye from you. Either of these combined with a standard AUP is enough to can an employee. There's no valid reason for an employee to be doing either at work in 99.999% of circumstances.
Reply to
ric

1. The activity from the companies I mentioned was not recent. It was a few months ago, so it would not matter now anyway. They would probably no longer have the logs. The most recent of activity from these companie was about 6 months ago.
  2. This services allows you to surf the net where your activities cannot be monitored, analyssed, cracked, or sniffed.

Sure you could can them, but you BETTER be careful about what you say to future employers that check references. Without the actual content of what was being accessed, you would want to only give the dates they worked there, and just tell them that you refuse to give any other information, good or bad, beucase you dont want to get sued

As the saying goes, "What cannot be read cannot be prosecuted".

Reply to
chilly8

Except by the servicer himself! You should really wonder how rerouting all your traffic over one single node should increase and not decrease anonymity.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I just happened to investigate why I was getting a HUGE spike in total listening hours (TLH) from Canada, and I found out why. Some guy in Fernie, British Columbia, has set up his own "relay" to every Live

365 station. This is the best way YET to fool the boss, if you want to listen to Live 365 stations. This guy's server is NOT on any "blackists" or the major filtering software vendors, so you will be able to access his server in almost ANY workplace, worldwide. And since whoever this guy is, is also a Live 365 VIP subscriber, he has somehow rigged his server up, so that when you "bounce" off his server, not ONLY do you put one over on the boss, but your favourite Live 365 DJs get "VIP rewards", which are bascially a discount off the next bill that comes due. So using this relay, you both fool the boss AND support your favourite Live 365 DJ. I will not post the link here, since I do NOT want any of the filter software vendors to know about it. But if you find it, you will find it quite usefful, as you will both fool the boss, and support your favourite Live 365 DJs with VIP rewards points. The boss will know that you connected to someone's residential DSL connetion in Fernie, British Columbia, but they will have no CLUE as to what you are up to, since the connection is being relayed off this guy's residential DSL connection, in Fernie, BC, to and from Live 365. The ONLY thing the boss will know is that you were bouncing off a machine in Fernie, Canada, but that is IT. It effectively bypasses filtering of Live 365 on ALL the major filter software vendors.
Reply to
chilly8

Some users of such services may be set back for a while, as one of the more popular subscription anonymity services has gone out of business. I used this service, myself, to bypass geographic restrictions listen to Capital FM in London, by using nodes in Britain, as well as being able to listen to Pandora, and listen to the online broadcats of any Clear Channel stations (when not in the United States). Contrary to what some people might think, bypassing geolocation restrictions does NOT violate ANY laws in either the U.S. or the U.K., if you use an subscription anonymity service to do it.

I know the same service was often used to listen to me from workplaces worldwide. At least my IP trick still works and lets people listen from many workplaces without having to use any proxies.

Reply to
Chilly8

That is not true.

The only trick you have, is that you display that you are a clueless idiot.

Reply to
Dana

Nope, I was PAYING this anonymising service to use ANY of its nodes, worldwide. So the so-called "implicit permission" clause is satisified by paying this anonymity service, logging on with my authorised licence code, and then chosse one of it's UK nodes. It would be the same as if I signed up for and used an dial-up ISP in the U.K.

PAYING the for anonymity service satisified the "implicit permission" requirement, as I was PAYING this service and using THEIR nodes with THEIR permission to access any worldwide site on the Net. The same applied if I chose a U.S. node on their network. It would be NO DIFFERENT than if I used a dialup ISP in either country. I was using a PAID service with nodes in the U.K. (to listen to capital) and the U.S. (to listen to Pandora, and any Clear Channel radio station there), so using a PAID anonuymity service to access these webcasts did NOT violate ANY law in either the U.S. or the U.K., since I was PAYING the anonymity servicef or the access to the anonymity nodes to access them, and NO DIFFERENT than if I subsrcibed to a dialup ISP in either country.

This anonymity service operated out of Bajamar, Mexico, and I paid them about US$30 per year for the privledge of using their network.

Reply to
Chilly8

I have considered the one possibility could be maybe the owner of the service could have been a retiree that could have passed away, though there is no way of knowing for sure. You see, Bajamar is the biggest

55-and-over development in North America, with championship level golf courses. I am a USA/Australia dual national, and one of my American aunts retired there. And that is quite a place, with nice views of the sea, and a championship golf course on the site. She lived there until the day she died, and they enjoyed it there. I went there a few times for a visit, and it is nice place, conveniently located too, just off the 1-D toll road. I liked being down there right on the seashore.

I am thinking that since that anonymity service was run from there, the owner could have died, and his or her heirs could have decided not to continue the business. It would be a shame if this is what happened, as the heirs could have eventually turned into quite a money making venture.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.