Somebody is scanning your computer ...

Just had this message pop-up from my Sygate Personal Firewall when I accessed Hotmail after clicking a link to email someone from within MSN Messenger.

Somebody is scanning your computer. Your computer's UDP ports: 1904, 2006, 2027, and 2122 have been scanned from 64.4.12.201..

I tried the same thing again, but no warning occurred.

WHOIS shows MS Hotmail Why would Hotmail be scanning those ports?

Bearing in mind I am behind a Draytek 2600 NAT router, and running a software firewall, I am intrigued to say the least.

Reply to
Tx2
Loading thread data ...

Complete nonsense.

Answer packets from:

wolfgang@arthur-dent:~> host 64.4.12.201

201.12.4.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer echo-v2.msgr.hotmail.com.

They are not, it is just your firewall placebo, that is a bit confused, nothing more. So please ask the vendor of that totally braindead firewall simulation why their piece of software crap is not only totally useless but also misinterprets udp answer packets as an atatck.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

aiyo... no trust microsoft meh?

^_^

Reply to
Andromeda

Hi Lethos,

What program do you use for thi monitoring?

Thanks....

David S>

Reply to
David Smith

For routers with NAT, Linksys ones in particular, I use WallWatcher - it's free - google for WallWatcher Download.

For my firewall I use the tools that were provided with it.

Reply to
Leythos

Hi Again,

Thanks. I downloaded it but cannot seem to hook into the router logs after enabling them in router setup. I am using a Linksys WRT 54 G (firmware v3.01.3). (Dell 5150, Win XP sp2)

In router setup I don't see a way to use "send to" for the logs as described in WW help.

Thanks for any help....

Davi dS>

Reply to
David Smith

If your router doesn't have a LOGS tab, or doesn't have a LOGS setting, then you can't do it. By default most of them come disabled, a few do not have LOGGING functions. You need to check your tabs/pages to find LOGGING, enable it, and then it will work.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.