Routing quesiton (maybe specific to Nokia IP130 router?)

Hi, I think I have a pretty good understanding of networking protocols in general, but this is the first time I've actually had to set up a router. I'm working with a Nokia IP130.

I've used static routes to create routes so that all traffic destined for a particular subnet (e.g. 60.0.0.0/8) is forwarded to another router (e.g. 60.1.1.1), and that works as expected. However, what if the router is an "end router" (I'm not sure if there's a commonly used term for this)...that is, it is connected directly to a subnet with a bunch of end-hosts on one of it's interfaces, rather than another gateway? In that case I want the router to route all the traffic destined for a particular subnet (e.g.

60.0.0.0/8) to a particular interface on the router, rather than a particular gateway IP (the MAC address corresponding to the gateway IP) .. That is, I want the router to issue an ARP to get the MAC address of the destination IP (e.g. 60.5.19.120). This is a valid scenario right? I can't figure out how to configure my Nokia IP130 router to do this. Using the "voyager" web-based configuration tool, static routes can route packets to two types of destinations: - "Gateway Address" - "Gateway Logical Name"

"Gateway Address" routes to a particular gateway IP which is not what I want. Is "Gateway Logical Name" what I want? I just want to route to an interface, not another gateway/router! Thanks for your patience if you read through this...

Dave

Reply to
david.stone
Loading thread data ...

If you are asking how to route to a directly connected subnet, you shouldn't have to do anything other than configure the router interface. I say "shouldn't" because that's all you would have to do to a Cisco router or Nokia firewall. The router "should" know about the subnet and will arp for the host on the subnet. To configure the interface; Voyager > IP address, subnet, speed, duplex, turn it on (if it's like a Nokia firewall, you have to do this on the main interface page, and on the logical inteface page). Make sure the link lights are on in Voyager.

Your routing protocol may have to be told to advertise this subnet to other routers. Add this subnet using Voyager. If you've already configured the interface, this may be your problem. If you use static routes, all your routers will have to be told how to get to this subnet. If you use RIP or OSPF, once you've added this subnet, it should propogate to your other routers. If you use a mixture of routing protocols, or static plus one dynamic protocol, you'll have to figure out where you make the change.

I work with Nokia firewalls and many types of Cisco gear. All of the Nokia firewalls that I've used do not require anything extra for a local subnet configuration. They know how to arp and route to a directly connected subnet. Having said that, last week I had a problem with a new Sun server that was set to NOT arp. It couldn't get anywhere with a setting like that. Since Nokia's are UNIX boxes with IP forwarding turned on, maybe your model needs to be told to arp? Sounds dumb but it worth mentioning. If it doesn't arp without be told to, then none of your links would work.

Reply to
jgarner

Thanks for your reply. After reading it and looking at Voyager again, I realized that I was just confused...I'm suffering from some newbie-related cluelessness when it comes to routers.

When you define a static route in Voyager you pick a "Gateway Type" of "None", "Address", or "Logical Name". I thought "None" meant that it the packet being routed wouldn't be sent anywhere. In fact, it just means the router figures out which interface to put the packet on based on each interface's IP address/Subnet mask configuration. So to route to a subnet I just had to specify "None". Then I'm not asked to specify a gateway to route to.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
UncleStoner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.