Re: Port 113?

Shrike:

Ok , i'll bite , assume you're a cracker and wish to learn where my computer is and what it runs. Assume that many of my ISP's routers are not using ICMP. Assume that my system will not send any packets to you. Assume that I will not initiate connections to your host. Assume that I have altered my TCP/IP stack and clients' settings to give as little usable information to a would-be attacker as is feasible. Just how will my configuration help you , what useful information do you think you will be able to acquire from me? There are far softer targets to be found.

I personally see no point in allowing Active OS-fingerprinting attempts. Your computer has the right to remain silent.

I agree with you that those who commit definable "suspicious" behavior online and do so to a certain extreme , should be sought and penalized. There are many social , legal , technological and financial hurdles to overcome.

Have you considered the benefits of trying to mislead/defeat Passive OS-fingerprinting techniques?

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

I wouldn't recommend altering your TCP/IP settings and/or your client settings (ie. , Web-browser "User Agent" and etc.) just to avoid OS identification. If however you wish to change some settings anyway , for other reasons , you may want to consider how varying changes can alter how your computer appears to the Internet hosts you connect to.

Why would you want to "Throw a hundred hackers in jail..."?

..perhaps a hundred Microsoft hackers , anyone responsible for such bad software can't be safe to have around... ;)

Reply to
George Orwell
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.