Norton Personall Firewall 2006 Problem

The Norton Personal Firewall program blocks my servers that I have running on my computer from receiving connections from the internet. As soon as my firewall is off, other people not on my network can access all of my servers. How do I stop the firewall from blocking the connections.

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

What servers are you talking about program wise?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Chris

Well, all I can say is you should not be trying to protect those services with a personal FW solution. Not a PFW solution that's running with the O/S.

You even have the O/S secured or harden to attack that has a Websever running that I am going to assume you have running on a NT based O/S such as Win 2K, XP, etc with the machine exposed to the public Internet?

You got this behind a NAT router or something or does this machine have a direct connection to the modem and the Internet?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It is behind a router that is configured properly.

Reply to
Chris

What does it take to configure a NAT router for home usage, which is better than nothing I might add? It comes out of the box configured properly. The problem starts when the ports are port forwarded.

formatting link
If you have a packet filtering FW router that's ICSA certified and meets specifications in the link for a packet filtering FW router or low end FW appliance, then you wouldn't need a PFW solution to protect the services on the machine.

You wouldn't need a PFW and setting some kind of worthless APP Control rules trying to figure out how to let a client application reach a sever application running on the machine exposed to the Internet.

That would leave the question of do you have the O/S configured/secured properly to face the Internet, because no PFW running with the O/S is going to save it. That includes the O/S, file system, user accounts, registry, the Webserver itself which doesn't mean anything if you're running with Apache when those things not taken care of or not harden to face the Internet.

The information is in books or is out there on the Internet using Google. Otherwise, the machine is just hack bait and a jumping off point to attack other machines on the Internet.

This link may help you too, to get off the PFW crutch.

formatting link
You can get a low-end FW appliance that is used that has a full warrantee the whole nine yards that cost as much as NAT router for home usage.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.