Looking For Decent Free Firewall

These few morons who answered me are the epitome of what I have said about this group being inhabited by know-nothings who kept spouting urban myths about any software mentioned.

If you take seriously the nonsense spouted by all factions in this group, you'll end up with no firewall. :)

Reply to
George Orwell
Loading thread data ...

Yea, and then when you decide you want to try another firewall and need to remove ZA be prepared for the nightmare that will ensue.

Reply to
RAID!!!

Yea, well, if you have a router with firewall you don't need one.

Reply to
RAID!!!

Well, it's easy enough for anyone to install the free version of ZA on their computer, run a sniffer (e.g. Wireshark) to inspect the network traffic, and see for themselvers who is or isn't the "know-nothing".

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Actually the current versions of ZA can be removed rather cleanly.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Or if you are not offering any network services. Then you can also get by without one.

Reply to
B. Nice

I used to use Sygate - but Symantec owns them now.......

No one has mentioned Jetico. What are your thoughts and experiences with their FW?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise

In

Never used it, sorry.

Reply to
Casey

Reply to
Gary

Reply to
Gary

Mr. Orwell opined.....

There are no more updates if you use w> For pete's sake, get Zone Alarm's freebie.

Reply to
Gary

It is virtually leakproof. It is free. for blocking in/out it may be the very best. It is extraordinarily difficult to configure. It has driven strong people to the point of insanity :>>>

gary

louise wrote:

Reply to
Gary

So what firewall does your top-post refer to Gaz?

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

(quoting fixed)

Who cares? Win9x has no privilege separation and is therefore pretty useless.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Worthful - it doesn't spend complexity and resources on useless trials.

That's exactly no difference from any other host-based packet filter.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Jetico

Reply to
Gareth

Reply to
Tony

Nope.

I know.

I know.

But if you need outbound application control as a weapon against malware you are trying to fight malware already running inside the system you are trying to protect - in which case you should already be in the process of restoring your machine to a clean state - since you lost the game.

That's true in any case.

Reply to
B. Nice

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.