Kerio pops up warning when I'm typing, risks allowing connection

When I'm typing away, Kerio 2.1.5 will throw up a dialog box warning me that somebody is trying to access my computer. Suddenly, the keys that I was typing are being directed to the dialog box, and I am inadvertently responding to the dialog box with responses of which I am unaware. As quick at it came, the dialog box disappears (having gotten the response it sought). I'm left scratching my head, wondering if I allowed a connection.

Is there a way to get the warning dialog boxes, but not have the keyboard focus switch to the dialog box? At this time, I would prefer not to have a rule that denies access to incoming request by default, and I would like to stay with this version of this firewall if possible.

Reply to
Dubious Dude
Loading thread data ...

Not that I know of.

This problem, of course, is not limited to the Kerio Firewall dialog boxes. I remember back in the early NT-verses-OS2 days (yeah, long time ago) OS2 was way better in maintaining the desired window focus. This focus thing has always been a pet peeve of mine in Windows. I've been told that there is not much the programmer can do about it without totally taking over your machine. Programmers rely on many internal Windows functions via APIs. I think this is one of 'em. I have long since jumped full steam onto the Windows bandwagon, but this still bites me ocassionally, and annoys me.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

This is annoying at times, but there isn't much to be done about it. About all you can do is immediately after it occurs, check your kerio rules to see what you've allowed/changed/denied or whatnot. If you can spot the changes then you can probably edit the rule or delete it as appropriate. Most likely you just either allowed or denied a single packet to one of your apps. I wouldn't expect the world to cave in, but you never know.. :)

Reply to
Kerodo

First question. Are you offering services to the world? If so, the system is a server, and you shouldn't be using it for non-server tasks. If you are not offering services to the world, why have you got the "firewall" bothering you with useless information?

Solution: 1. Unplug the computer from the world. 2. Use a command like netstat to find what services are being offered. Disable or block these services permanently. 3. Configure the "firewall" to not ask about closed ports 4. Plug the computer back into the world.

Design heritage from the DOS era. "System" messages must be dealt with immediately.

Their main use is telling the ones who use it that some host in Korea or Kenya attempted to connect to a trojan that they don't have installed.

Why? Are you offering services to the world? If you are not, then the warning is useless - allowing or denying access to a closed port gives the same results to the remote; they get nothing. Your key is to see that you are not offering service to the world. If you are, you should not be using this computer for "ordinary" tasks like typing up your plans for world domination.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

OK, thanks for that info.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

True enough. Thanks.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Moe Tr>

Actually, I tried the netstat, and the results aren't exactly clear to me. So doubtlessly, I have a whole lot more to learn about this. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for when I have become sufficiently knowledgable to understand the results. Thanks.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

As for stopping the popup queries, you could add a rule to default deny access to all (ports, addresses, programs) as a last rule after whatever rules list you have setup already.

Other programs popups might still intercept your typed input though.

/Rolf

-snip-

Reply to
Rolf Blom G (AS/EAB)

Thanks, Rolf. I understand that this is a common practice for firewalls. I was just fielding the question of whether this could be avoided, but I will certainly keep it open as an option.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.