keeping track of firewall ports opened across an enterprise

Hi All,

Just a generic question being thrown out there to see how people are keeping track of the ports that are being opened across their network.

My dilema is that I work for a company that has over 80 locations world wide. Each with their own local internet access for the most part. As part of our standards only a select range of ports are allowed to traverse the firewall by default all other ports must be reveiwed and OK'd before a rule is created to allow it through. The problem comes with maintianing the chain of events and easily recollecting when auditors come and ask questions. I know that this is not as much a firewall question as much as it is a data mining question but I figured I can't be the only one facing these issues...

Has anybody found or created some software to assist them in keeping track of requests and reasons why ports were opened so that when audit time comes one can easily go back and review?

Regards,

David

Reply to
d_pinto
Loading thread data ...

MS Excel, MS Access, MS SQL, Oracle, NotePad, etc...

Sounds like a simple document to create.

Reply to
Leythos

Then you really first need a security concept.

There is management software for such cases. And usually, it is a very good idea to script yourself what's needed in this special case.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.