IPTables only works for 70 seconds

Hi all.

I have configured my firewall "nat" and "filter" tables the way I want them and saved them by using "service iptables save". The problem is, when I reboot the system (or whenever I start IPTables at all), the rules work fine for only 70 seconds. I know this because with another machine, I am continuously monitoring my ability to contact port 80 on a machine behind the firewall. When IPTables starts, for 70 seconds, the port is available. After that, there is no more connectivity although all signs point to IPTables still running on the box. I am starting IPTables from within /etc/rc.d/rc.local with the command "service iptables start". I tried having it start automatically with chkconfig, but that resulted in the same problem AND an INCREDIBLY long boot time. Does anyone have any idea why my firewall rules only work for 70 seconds? Below is some system information. Please let me know if I can provide more for you. Thank you!

SYSTEM INFORMATION:

uname -a Linux pogo 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

chkconfig --list | grep -i "ip" iptables 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

iptables -V iptables v1.2.11

cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables Output Here:

formatting link
note, public IPs have been obfuscated with X's for privacy)

Reply to
Matthew Connor
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps this is a silly question, but do you have some additional protection on another box that might interpret the constant probes on port 80 as a DOS attack and therefore block the source IP address?

PJR :-)

Reply to
Peter J Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.