I'm fed up with symantec, firewall advice needed

Hi,

I'm fed up with symantec; almost every time I need a subscription renewal for Norton AV / Internet Security I'm told my product is no longer 'supported' and I need an upgrade, when all I want is new AV definitions and Internet Security updates. For 2 days I've been trying to get a response from their website but as soon as you enter the product you want renewals for the page fails to load. Faced with this I rang them, spent 15 mins on hold, then spoke to a very unhelpful woman who's English was not great, answered 'exactly' to 2 of my questions (in so doing failing to answer them) and who seemed irritated by my questions. So I will look elsewhere...

What decent firewall software should I look at for a PC running Win2000 Pro? Is there any good free software out there? Or reasonably priced software that will charge me a modest fee for the following year's security updates without hitting me every time for the whole cost of the software?

Many thanks,

MS

Reply to
MS
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
If you're needing more explanation, or like to control, what's going on:

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If you don't like dealing with Symantec, then stay away from ZoneAlarm. Every time I apply another update, it breaks something else or I have to completely reconfigure it.

I've actually had pretty good luck with Notron Internet Security on my XP boxes. I been thinking about deleting ZoneAlarm on my old Win2000 Pro system which already has NAV on it and loading Norton Internet Security 2006 when my NAV subscription expires in about a month.

What exactly is Norton telling you isn't supported on Win2000 Pro? My Norton Internet Security 2006 Home Protection Pack includes "Windows

2000 Pro with SP3 or higher" in the System Requirements information right on the box.
Reply to
James T. White

Why are you relying on a personal solution when you should have a NAT Router in between your computer and the internet.

Also, Norton's products work fine with Windows 2000, even the 2006 versions, although the Norton (not symantec) products seem to have a lot of bloat.

You can't expect them to provide updates for outdated products forever, just get a current version and you'll have a updatable product for several more years.

Reply to
Leythos

Unfortunately, dealing with Norton products can be frustrating. I stopped using them a few years ago myself. If you're looking for a standard 'suite' type product with AV, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware and so on, I would recommend either the ZoneAlarm Suite or the BitDefender Internet Security. Both will do a better job than NIS. The ZA Suite is a little stronger on the firewall and the BD Suite is a little stronger on the AV, so depending on which you value most, choose appropriately. Both have trials, so I would suggest removing Norton compeltely (which may be difficult, there are some removal tools if needed), and then try out each (ZA and BD) and see which you like best.

Reply to
Kerodo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.