Heuristic Approach Firewalls

don't get a software firewall. Get a decent hardware one (smaller watchgaurd boxes, sonicwall, etc - NOT netgear or linksys!)

Set it to block EVERYTHING except the things you need (outgoing especially, not just incoming)

If the users don't know too much about computers they should not be loading any new software on an internet attached PC anyway, so changes to the config should not be an issue.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz
Loading thread data ...

michNOael snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.invalid (Michael_jd) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

If one doesn't know a whole lot about computers, then what makes one think that a FW that's asking the user questions about what to allow and not to allow is going to do them any good? It's not going to help one bit and is only going to lead to more confusion as they will be stopping things they shouldn't be stopping and letting things through that they should not have let through, because they don't know how to make the right decision.

Your best solution is to get a FW that's not asking any questions or has the ability to have that feature of asking the user questions disabled - no questions - no confusion and less of a chance of being compromised.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi there. Our computer needs a firewall. However most of the people that use it don't really know alot about computers so aren't very good about deciding if a program should have access to our computer. I hear that a heuristic type firewall would be good in our situation; it would run in the background and only tell us if something has gone wrong. Am I right? If so what are some good heuristic firewalls that I can buy?

Reply to
Michael_jd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.