Help with firewall

Hello -

I am trying to secure my computer after getting one of those windows messenger advertisements take over my computer. I'm having trouble understanding the log on my firewall - I've pasted the log below - can someone tell me if it looks like someone is trying to get into my computer still? Is there anything more I need to do - I've scanned with virus detection, bitdefender, spybot, and adaware ... please let me know ... thank you!!

----- ----- ----- Firewall Logs

Somebody is scanning your computer. Your computer's UDP ports: 1028, 1030, 1031, and 1032 have been scanned from 222.38.148.22..

Somebody is scanning your computer. Your computer's UDP ports: 4257, 1028, 1031, and 1030 have been scanned from 61.233.41.180..

Somebody is scanning your computer. Your computer's UDP ports: 1028, 1029, 1032, and 1031 have been scanned from 222.38.148.22..

Application Hijacking has been detected The application: C:\\Program Files\\Softwin\\BitDefender8\\bdnagent.exe try to launch another application: C:\\Program Files\\Softwin\\BitDefender8\\bdnews.exe to go to remote host nn.bitdefender.com

Reply to
lina.avon
Loading thread data ...

Personal FW(s) make you paranoid because they complain about nothing and put it in your face. The logs indicate that the attempts are being blocked are they not, which is normal unsolicited inbound traffic from the Internet that's being blocked by the packet filter/PFW.

No one is really going to single you out and try to attack your machine in the manner you think. If the attack is going to happen, then it will be due to *you* contributing to it in someway with the happy fingers that click on unknown links to sites, going to dubious sites,opening unknown emails with attachments.

If you're going to be attacked, it will be like what is happening in the link. And there are tools you can use to look for yourself.

Long

formatting link
Short
formatting link
If you have Windows XP or Win 2K, the buck stops there and not with the other software you talk about. If you have Win 9'x or ME, you're out of luck.

formatting link

If you're worried about traffic hitting the FW, then put the machine behind a NAT router and let the PFW supplement the NAT router. You can get one dirt cheap now of days.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.