Firewall settings - incomplete TCP/UDP sessions

Hello,

I've had increasing problems with my h/w firewall over the past weeks due to 'syn flood to host (outbound)' problems. Turns out my modded version of firefox triggers the f/w to hysterically shut down the connection (flood control). (I still don't know why this has only recently become a problem, as I've made NO h/w or s/w changes, and have no viruses/spyware.)

I've basically tried to desensitise the f/w by adjusting: 'Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host', (which was originally 10) to 50 (max). This seems to work for the moment.

I don't want to set this too high, leaving my network vulnerable to dos attacks, but I also don't want my surfing restricted by my own firewall(!) What is the correct (permissible) maximum value I should have this set to?

Reply to
Bondi (Class-1)
Loading thread data ...

Huh? Now that's technical nonsense. I really fail to see any such DoS condition due to allowing as many connections as you want and need, and neither do I have any technical reference that anyone ever mentioned such a scenario.

And in fact you'd rather DoS yourself with a too low setting.

16777215 (2**24-1), the maximum.
Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.