Firewall + Ip-Traffic

And your budget is ...?

Reply to
Vanguard
Loading thread data ...

With a security appliance costing $38,650

formatting link
then the "middle" would be $19,325, and you can buy a lot of firewall appliances for far less than that. I'm not the firewall expert here but even I can recognize that without knowledge of your budget constraints (and also just what you are trying to protect) then recommendations would be pointless. You might be looking for a $30 "personal" simplistic solution to protect one or two home computers but respondents might waste time discussing corporate solutions costing $400, on up (into thousands).

On a *guess* that you might be looking for a personal NAT router with firewall that has IP logging for personal/home computer use, several of them have logging so your single criteria that it does logging doesn't much narrow down the choices. However, viewing the logs often means browsing to the router to look at its web pages to see the logs. However, WallWatcher lets you run a utility that will read the logs and it works with D-Link, Linksys (which I have now at home), and lots of other routers; see

formatting link
I had a D-Link DI-604 (also supported by WallWatcher) but it died, probably because it runs too hot (due to overly restrictive vents) but I liked its firewall features better than the Linksys BEFSR41 but, again, these are personal solutions for a home network. No one knows what you are trying to protect or how much you are willing to spend. I would've bought a better featured Linksys except my budget was constrained by the person (not me) actually buying the hardware and their requirements.

What tire do you recommend for your car? Well, depends on whether you want rain performance, street racing performance, soft compound for fast cornering and take-off, soft versus hard ride, street versus off-road, and so on, but all of which are pointless recommendations or criteria unless a budget is known. There is no point talking about tires costing $250 each when your entire budget for all 4 tires is $250.

Reply to
Vanguard

Exactly what is the matter with a machine based on a Linux Kernel? I hope you have a good reason for excluding a cheap low-end computer with a Linux based Firewall solution...because I can't think of a single one. You can invest, maybe $50 in a good PII computer with about 8G of HD and 256M RAM, and install the freeware Smoothwall package. You never really have to do any of that nasty "unix" stuff...you communicate with the system via an easy to use graphical interface. The 8G HD that I specified is actually WAY more than Smoothie requires...I did that to allow you ample room to let the IP logging file grow as large as you wish. Admit it, it's worth considering.

formatting link

Jeff

Reply to
jeffreyalsip

Hi all

I m looking for a Hardware Router /Firewall, wich has IP Traffic logging on. Wich product is recommendable?

Dont want to use a PF, or a Machine with Linux on it.

I didnt found something on Google, maybe someone here can help ?

tia

chris

Reply to
Chris

"Vanguard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Somewhere in the middle ;-)

Recommendations ?

Thanx

Chris

Reply to
chris e.

You need to separate the idea into two parts to see why people choose appliances over small computer systems with ANY OS.

1) Computers running a tight OS/Firewall application have any parts, hard drive, power supply, floppy drive, video card, etc.... 2) Appliances don't often have drives, their PSU's are designed more rigidly, memory is soldered or in a non-cheap socket, etc.... It's about endurance and a tightly controlled firmware. 3) Computers require setting up of the OS, then setting up the firewall. 4) Appliances run a OS/Firmware supplied and working already 5) Computers are often larger and take more power 6) Appliances are often smaller and require less power 7) Appliances have a higher MTBF than a Computer. 8) Appliances are often certified, computers with self installed OS's and firewall applications are only as good as the user doing the installation.
Reply to
Leythos
1) Computers running a tight OS/Firewall application have any parts, hard drive, power supply, floppy drive, video card, etc....

You obviously have not looked in to the Smoothwall solution. Your comments are very "general". A box running Smoothwall is usually stripped of all unnecessary hardware. We are left with a lean, low power system...only HD, memory and Net Cards to occupy the power supply. In the case of my personal Smoothwall, there is no video card (none is needed) and I took advantage of all the extra space to install extra fans. This box uses very little power and could possibl run FOREVER. If you would like to bring your $1000 appliance over and set it down next to the Smoothwall, I have all of the instruments needed to test the respective current draws.

3) Computers require setting up of the OS, then setting up the firewall.

There is no OS setup...just an OS install. Setting up the firewall is the same process you have to go through with your precious appliance.

5) Computers are often larger and take more power

6) Appliances are often smaller and require less power

Often? What constitutes an "often"? Do you mean one out of ten...fifty fifty...I don't get it. I hope I have satisfied the power issue, but in case I haven't let me put it plainly: YOU ARE WRONG.

8) Appliances are often certified, computers with self installed OS's and firewall applications are only as good as the user doing the installation.

If you are a qualified System Administrator, you had better be able to set up your network parameters, or damn well hire somebody who can. If you are putting a firewall on a single computer in your brother-in-law's basement, you should expect to have to read the manuals, and possibly press a few buttons.

Reply to
jeffreyalsip

...thanks for all replies !

Chris

"Leythos" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.columbus.rr.com...

Reply to
chris e.

Since the discussion was general and not about your specific configuration, I presented general information about the major points. Generalities will always have exceptions.

I expect it would be difficult for a home user to setup a firewall without a video card.

I can purchase a SOHO 6tc that is smaller, draws less power, and doesn't require the user to do anything other can connect cables and is under $300 if you want to get nit-picky. Based on your assumptions of how long your mechanical parts will last (drive), my no-drive, no-moving parts, unit should last longer than forever.

Read it as the same dang thing - installation of the OS required where an appliance doesn't have any OS installation.

A typical mini-tower is larger than most firewall appliances, same for a small desktop box, the micro-towers are about the same size as most appliances.

So, you agree with me - if a home user, which this thread was directed at, is to setup a firewall, and Smoothwall is only one option available to home users, they will need to know how to install the OS and how to setup the rules through some interface, not to mention that they will need to know how to setup a PC for long duration running and strip it down to the minimal parts needed . With the exception of PIX, almost every firewall appliance on the market makes rule setup simple and easy to understand - Oh, you don't need to modify the hardware in the appliance to make it reliable either.

Don't take this wrong, I use FW1 on some large, dedicated servers, but for most installs, a appliance is a better option.

Reply to
Leythos

I doubt that. The higher end boxes go for over 5 grand or so, the "middle" by conservative estimate would be about $2500.00.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Damn! I had no idea pix prices went that high! feature wise that box seems comparable to the somicwall 5060 series (athough the pix has much better redendancy which is priceless to those who really need it)

The sonicwall has 6 gig interfaces, and costs 1/4 that amount.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

:> With a security appliance costing $38,650 :>

formatting link
then the

:Damn! I had no idea pix prices went that high!

They aren't. The $US38649.99 at pcmall is for a PIX-535-R-BUN (Restricted Bundle).

The *list* price for that is now less than $US30000,

formatting link
look at the list price column] and superwarehouse will sell you one for < $US22000
formatting link
which isn't even the lowest price around; e.g.,

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.