Firewall Appliance Question

Does anyone know of a Firewall that I can set more than 10 rules? I currently use a Netgear FR114P and the websites I have been on (sonic, etc.) don't tell you the rule capacity.

Thanks,

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Buy a firewall instead of using a NAT Router like you currently have.

WatchGuard, CISCO, Netscreen, Sonic, etc....

Reply to
Leythos

Try Smoothwall with the Advanced Firewall modification. As far as I can tell, I can set a number of rules governed only by my hard disk size...and, of course, the set-up is easy and straight forward.

Or, as usaul, you can listen to the Big Boys and pay Big Bucks!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Alsip

Uh-oh. Another mistake. According to one of your earlier posts, he actually has a firewall. It's ICSA certified as a residential firewall. Need a link? Ok, here ya go:

formatting link
you're thinking it looks familiar, it should. It's one you posted earlier.

That's actually good advice.

Reply to
Micheal Robert Zium

Reply to

Smoothwall is Linux only, no?

Reply to

You don't have to spend $400 you can find the low-end FW appliances for under that price if you shop. You can also find them used/reconditioned for under a $100 with warrantee.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Any recommendations? I have VOIP and cable connection.

Thanks

Reply to

"8675309" wrote in news:TnDHe.20587$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Sorry I wish I had kept that link about used Watchguards some one posted to me. I use a WG Firebox SOHO 6 which I am very happy with it. The SOHO 6 has been discontinued here recently and you might be able to get a good deal.

You should be able to call WatchGuard and have them point you to dealers for used ones or call some on the dealers list and have them point you in the right direction.

Maybe, someone will post a link about those used WG(s) but don't forget the others that were mentioned too. I am sure they have something similar on their used products.

I have no need for one but it seems to be something on the move you can look at a Linksys WRT54G where you can disable the wireless, install the third 3rd party Sveasoft firmware (free) that's using Iptables and you may get the rules capacity you're looking for in a cheap solution for a packet filtering FW router. That's what I hear. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The Linksys unit would be significantly less expensive, and significantly more versatile too. The downside is that much of the extra versatility requires acquiring significant skills and knowledge about the WRT54G platform, because the easy web interface is limited (to something more than the Watchguard Firefox unit can do).

Which is to say it will do specifically what the OP asks and that can be configured with the web interface, but making use of the other functionality available might be more "difficult". For example, advanced configuration of the firewall is not provided by a simple web interface.

Typically a WRT54G (or WRT54GS) can be found for $50-60 new, and used will be half that.

I would recommend DD-WRT firmware

formatting link
rather than Sveasoft. It is based on Sveasoft (which is based on Linksys code, which is based on code from Broadcom, which is the company that manufactured the cpu and wireless chips). The DD-WRT firmware has significant additional features and conveniences, and also provides some distance from some of the obnoxious political/marketing baggage that Sveasoft's owner carries around.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

However, Leythos suggested an ICSA certified firewall, not a Watchguard low end, uncertified, over priced "non-firewall".

You folks keep taughting Watchguard, but you cite the high end device capabilities and then offer the low end for price comparisons.

What is the price of an "ICSA certified" firewall?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

and that doesn't change the fact that you've not provided any reputable information on the third-party firmware for the 54g being a firewall appliance that's been tested and passed.

Those cheap home units just don't have the features most people that "need" a firewall actually need. In the case of a SOHO WatchGuard unit, there would be no problem adding more than 10 rules. Like I said before, there are cheap NAT units with firewall like features that work great for home users - and I would like to see EVERY HOME USER have one, but they are still just overly fancy NAT boxes for the most part. Did you read about all the parts that it failed for?

Reply to
Leythos

Yeah right, it comes back to that definition I gave you what does a FW do.

What is he talking about?

Well, what can I say? I have another lunatic out chasing me around the NG(s). ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

One other thing, the 54G is using software from the Gods -- Linux.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

One more thing Floyd Firewall, you need to get out of the bed with that 54G up there in Alaska and find yourself *woman*.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The Netgear FR114P *is* a firewall.

formatting link
It is on the list.

Reply to
NormanM

Since when does the FR114P only allow ten rules? I currently have 39 rules;

12 outbound and 27 inbound. While there is a limit on the site blocking names, 32, I have not, yet, hit the limit on the rules.
Reply to
NormanM

Based on a very specific firmware and then there are a lot of things that didn't pass - read the testing results.

Reply to
Leythos

My guess would be that he's running very old firmware.

Reply to
Leythos

It's still certified. Can't get around it. And speaking of failures, did you notice how Watchguard failed out-of-the-box until it provided patches that weren't available to anyone else?

Reply to
Micheal Robert Zium

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.