Firewall advantages/disadvantages

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to network security and have been assigned the task of deciding which firewall setup would best suit the security needs of my company's web application.

Here are the options I'm looking at so far:

1.) A hardware based firewall acting as an intermediary between the webserver and the outside world.

2.) A software based firewall installed on the webserver.

3.) An additional machine with a software firewall acting as an intermediary between the webserver and the outside world.

Could someone please let me know if I'm on the right track with any of these options and possibly list some of the advantages/disadvantages of each. Any help you can provide would be extremly helpful.

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
ljohnson
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to network security and have been assigned the task of deciding which firewall configuration would best suit my company's web application. Could someone please help me by giving the advantages/disadvantages of the options listed below or by letting me know if I'm even on the right track to begin with.

Thanks,

Larry

1.) A software firewall installed on the webserver.

2.) A hardware firewall acting as an intermediary between the webserver and the outside world.

3.) A software firewall installed on a machine that is not the webserver acting as an intermediary between the webserver and the outside world.

Also, if a software firewall is the way to go could you suggest some applications that would be appropriate for a production level environment? I know the basic Norton/Mcafee options, but I imagine these are geared more towards personal use.

Reply to
ljohnson

You already posted this question under "Firewalls" in a different post. Answered in "Firewalls".

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.